Welcome to the forum

Ambleside Road trip

Just an event recommendation for 2018 for the grass trackers.

Me, Dave Wells and Travis Pell decided, fairly last minute to make the journey to race at the Ambleside grass track in the Lake district.

Traveling up on the wednesday evening we broke the Journey by staying on Geoffs farm in North Yorkshire, absolutely stunning place, not far off the A1. Geoff put us up in his caravan free of charge, it a brilliant venue and the surrounding around looks like cycling heaven, with Geoff keen for Ashwell riders to come and experience them. Sadly, no road riding for us, but a relaxed evening in the caravan, followed by a 90 min drive to Ambleside in the morning.

Me, Travis and Dave were all in agreement that the stunning scenery was worth the drive, before any racing started. The cycling is held within a north country show, with fairground style attractions, plus running races, fell racing, hound sniffing (ask Dave), and wrestling. Which, even with the wet weather drew a big crowd.

The cycling events, were a 500 scratch (heat and finals), an 800, a 1600 handicap, a 3200 scratch and a devil, so plenty of opportunity for all to get in the mix in the racing. The track was tough, very soft and muddy due to the rain, and a hill bigger than Ashwells which required getting out of the saddle every lap!!

As a group we did good! I managed 2nd in the 500, 1st in the 800, 2nd in the 1600, 2nd in the 3200, and 1st in the devil, and got £160 prize money, Travis was unlucky in the 500 to be picking mud out of his cleat at the gun went so missed the final, 3rd in the 800, 3rd in the 1600, 1st in the 3200 and 2nd in the devil (and achieves his 2nd Cat licence!! and won near to £100? ) and Dave's confidence on the mud (first time he'd ridden a track in these conditions) grew throughout the day, achieving 5th in the 1600 and 5th in the devil, picking up some prize money and by my calculations 5 BC points which are worth more than gold.

Next year we should take a minibus full, stay at Geoffs and the dominate the track (there were already murmurs about the southerners coming and stealing all the money, so it's only fair we take a bit more next year). We all felt, in hindsight it would have been nice to have stayed a day or two afterwards and ridden some of the iconic climbs in the area.

Apparently the event is always the last Thursday in July - so mark it in your diaries next year.

Mitchy

Comments

• Nice write up Mitchy and great to see you guys yesterday. The organising club (Beacon Wheelers) was very pleased that you supported the event. You simply let your legs do the talking!

Definitely good to see more CCA or indeed any riders from the eastern region next year. I think there is scope for getting something organised between the Beacon Wheelers and CCA in 2018. Both clubs have a similar passion for grass track and have a vested interest in keeping the sport going. Happy to help here.
  • echo these comments. Great to see you up here and well done flying the flag and winning good prize money. Always puts a smile on your face. Well done Travis cat 2. Hard earned.
  • Thats brilliant! fantastic that 3 CCA went that far and dominated.
    Mitchy, were you still on the karve 25's in the mud?
  • Tim, the Karve's were spot on.
  • Great report. Well done chaps.

If I can make 2108: I will do it.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a la-di-da track bike. Margarine gains.
  • edited July 2017
    Pictures of the Ambleside Sports Day and the CCA riders can be had here in this DropBox link.

Geoff is some 80-90 minutes away by car, t'is I who live in the UNESCO World Heritage site, known as the Lake District National Park, the other BIG event here for cyclists (and there are loads of them) is, of course, the Fred Whitton.

Interested in Life in a National Park? Instagram account HERE.
  • hi Tim. Nice pictures. Lads were talking about staying here to ride around these here hills as well as taking part in the competition. Always good to have club and ex club members local so sure people will get in contact with you to stay there closer to the event. Good to create a network of stop overs so people can have a choice of venue.
  • Good to see you Tim, great pics (despite the subjects!) thanks for sending the link!
    I'd echo Mitchy's comments- great day out, really nice event. Only downside was only having the track bikes with us and one night at Geoff's- having been up previously, I know how incredible those roads are, and it was just tantalising not being able to have a play on them..!

Hopefully a bit drier conditions next year- my lack of bog-riding experience seriously compromised my performance!
  • There are loads of campsites locally, I sold my home in Bushey, Herts, travelled quite a bit, and have ploughed my funds into a business here in Keswick (exchanging contracts this month). Thus, I rent a room with a view of Skiddaw, own a business with stunning view of the western fells as for me a home is a very secondary consideration, so as it stands, I have no accommodation to offer. My itchy feet will no doubt see me elsewhere in 10yrs time!

See you when next you're up here. give me a shout and i'll come over and take some pictures. See above Instagram link.
  • Those pics are awesome tim/jp

Dave you're looking Lean!
  • Thanks Nat- still not enough for the hill on that track! Should've expected it, though- not much flatness in the Lake District...