Welcome to the forum

Ride London 100

Ride London is just a sportive and pales in comparison to some of the other events and achievements in recent weeks (JMac's 24 hour ride, Chris P's Ironman, and Jackie's and JMac's National 100s, to name a few), but I thought I'd give a little write-up on what turned out to be a very enjoyable day out. CCA entered a team, and Chris P and myself were given the same start-time, so obviously decided to ride together.

After having to make a special trip to London yesterday to register, and then getting up at some ridiculous hour this morning to travel back down to London (some of my neighbours were getting out of a taxi from their night out when I left my house this morning), coupled with the torrential rain and floods overnight, I was wondering why I had signed up for Ride London. But just as I arrived at the car park in London it stopped raining, and I met Chris P and off we went to the start-line. After getting lost on the way to said start-line, coupled with last minute nature calls, we managed to miss the closing time for our race pen. But here's a tip for future riders of the event, it didn't seem to matter, we just joined in anyway! It worked out quite well, as we only had to wait around for 15 minutes before we started. The starting pen resembled a meeting of the Inter-club competition, with ourselves, HNCC and IRC riders all in close proximity. After a brief comedy moment where a lady in front of us tried to throw a banana skin into a bin but only managed to hit the stranger next to her, we started our ride at 05:52.

The roads were wet, and the sky was dark but luckily we didn't get any more rain. We feared a puncture in these conditions. The route was literally lined with people with their repair kit out. Our plan was to take it reasonably comfortable early on, and see how the day progressed. I had only done one long ride in preparation for this (last weekend I did two 45 miles rides separated by a few hours as my only preparation, and it really hurt), and Chris was coming off the back of an Ironman, so neither of us were sure how we were going to hold up.

The first hour through London was relatively fast (23mph) but reasonably easy. It oscillated between Chris being in front, then me being in front (but mainly Chris), and sometimes we even rode side by side for a chat. Until about 30 miles in, where Chris got onto a faster group and I slowly drifted backwards. I had to make a decision - let him go or chase like hell and get back on, but risk going into the red. Not being able to face the embarrassment of getting dropped by Chris so early, I chased hard and eventually caught up, but in truth I was working reasonably hard to stay with his group. By mile 40 we were in Surrey and the hills started coming thick and fast, but I had a change of fortune - I came to life in the hills and put some distance between myself and Chris. This continued through all the hills, including the mildly challenging Leith Hill, and the most over-rated hill I know - Box Hill. With it's perfect surface and not so steep gradient (I don't believe the signs claiming 7% on the side of the road), Box Hill is really not that difficult. But the switchbacks make it enjoyable.

After getting all the hills out of the way and with ~35 miles to go, I did some quick calculations, and figured I was on for a sub 5 hour time. A group formed and I joined in, pressing on at a decent pace. Is there anything more satisfying in cycling than being part of a group charging along at 25, 26, 27, or even 28mph? (I know I should join the chaingang on Tuesday evenings!) That group lasted for about 15 miles where it broke up on meeting some more minor hills, after which I found myself alone on the road with the last of my food and gels consumed, and starting to struggle. With 10 miles remaining we met Wimbledon Hill. It's short and a little steep, but by far the hardest hill I faced today, coming after 90 miles already in the legs. Three miles later, still on my own and managing about 20mph I passed through Putney and crossed the Thames.

And then a train of riders came past me, doing probably 25+mph. As they started to leave me behind I spotted that Chris was in the group. Already a gap had opened up and I had another big decision to make - chase them, knowing that it would probably kill me, or end up losing about 5 minutes to Chris before the finish? Well, I'm not having that... so off I went. I had to chase them at about 28mph to get back on. It was hard. But I eventually made it. But now I had another problem - staying with them for the next 5 miles. I was at my limit to do so. I remember seeing the houses of Parliament in the distance and thinking 'great, not too much further'. But after that I honestly don't really remember much, passing right along beside Parliament, or seeing any of the other landmarks on the way down to Trafalgar Square. It's all a bit of a blur. We turned onto the Mall, and for some reason the finish line was way down the other end - great! I stayed with the group but was in no state to contest the sprint. Chris did, and I believe came second. I rolled in with a time of 04:34:34.

I saw two accidents en-route. One where a guy over cooked a corner. He was laying on his back being attended to. The other involved two riders on a straight piece of road - both sitting up but looked in pain.

Despite the early start, the weather and the hassle of getting there, it is a great day out. The closed roads are fantastic, and it's a really well organised event. If you haven't done it, give it a go. Even better with someone else from the club to chase.

Comments

• Great write-up Brendan, and good ride, both of you. I agree, the logistics are a pain, but it's a brilliant day out; there's not many events to equal it - first year in four that I've not taken part. Beware, though- bit of a gateway drug into racing...!
  • Fantastic write-up Brendan and well done CCA riders. Some great times.

Ha: yes - I can hear Brendan is getting seduced by the road racing scene. Maybe catch a chaingang soon for another hit. There's plenty left before Autumn.

Worth pointing out: The Tour of Cambridgeshire is all of what the Ride London 100 vibe is; without the brilliant Central London riding. But without the logistical headaches too.
  • Nice write up Brendan. Jackie and I did it in about the same time last year. A real blast. Felt fast in the big groups. Agree that last steep climb is a killer.
  • edited August 2017
    I'll chip in as my "race" reports seem to go down ok ;)

3:15 alarm goes off and its absolutely chucking it down. Cue last minute shoe mods, mainly involving gaffer tape and cut up swim hats to make my own poor mans velotoze (totally unsuccessful too). Rock up to the car park at about 4:20 and quickly get organized and find Brendan, must remember to keep moving as everyone else may be starting later. The 1.5 miles to the start is actually 4 miles, with loads of ducking and diving around other bleary eyed sportivers. Finally into the start pen, phew. An Icknield Road Club rider receives an unfortunate mushed banana to the back, we try to stifle laughs, again unsuccessfully.

Finally 5:52 rolls around and we are off, threading our way out of the Olympic Park and onto the A12...weeee the speed immediately rockets and there are free rides all over the place, trains are already coming through at well over 25, all aboard! Although like Brendan I intend to take the first half easy and suck wheels, get over the lumps then push for home. Its all plain sailing through town. It's an amazing feeling blasting through the capital ignoring traffic signs/lights and using all the road. The first small selection comes on the drag through Richmond park and I burn a match here to get back on a big group. The next hour or two sail by, Brendan and I ride together a reasonable amount here, then split up on the climb to Newlands, though I find myself riding with Paul a lot too. Leith Hill next and it's a slog but fine with the 32T rescue cog (for the alp in 2 weeks) The descent is a bit scarier as its fast and very dark due to the poor light and tree canopy overhanging the road. Box Hill is fine, much more my sort of gradient where you can spin up, I stop quickly to grab some chain grease as its making a right racket. Dry lube definitely not appropriate for the roads. Down Box Hill and starts to get spicy, find a few groups and seem to get into the "one" as we go back over the M25, pace is getting hot now, keep eating little and often. The train finally gets organized and people are doing big turns rotating on the front, I hate the on/off effort but the chaingangs really help, good for tenacity too! Wimbledon hill splits everyone up, the crowd here is mega, and I foolishly try it in the big ring. Nope not happening the legs say. I kill myself over the next couple of miles to get back to the wheels, then its flat out into London. The last hour is over 260w normalized at 24.5mph, had to put out over 430 for a minute at one point to get back on and nearly 300 for 10 when the rotations were really going. May race just to be a leadout man next year, I love pulling the bunch along

Along the River we are still using the cycle lane hilariously..the surface is lovely, past the Cenotaph, then admiralty arch and we are on the Mall, what a sight. Its every man for himself and I shove it in a massive gear and wind up for the bunch kick, some monster next to me just keeps going and I settle for second in this group, probably 30 minutes + back on the leaders.

Top day out, would recommend entering to anyone, despite the massive organizational faff in the preceding days!
  • edited August 2017
    Cracking performance and report Chris. You must have done it all before 10am??!

Respect from the early-bird riders.