Welcome to the forum

Bikes wanted

edited July 2008 in General
Dear All,

I am currently collecting old and unwanted bikes to be sent to a charitable organisation in South Africa. The text below is from an e-mail I sent to all the employees at my place of work explaing the situation. I am happy to pick up any donated bikes and/or parts and please feel free to call me on 07721 604204 if you have any queries.

Many thanks, John.

"During the recent Würth Congress in South Africa, the company’s directors and their partners visited a township close to Capetown. During this visit we saw the poverty in which many South Africans have to live and were introduced to the work of BEN Bicycles.

BEN stands for the Bicycle Empowerment Network and their aims are to promote the bicycle to address low cost transport and improve health. They help the people living within the townships to hire, and if they can afford it, buy a bicycle, so that they can get employment beyond walking distance from home. They rely on the donation of old bicycles and parts from within South Africa and other parts of the world.

Which is where you come in ….. I would like to collect as many bicycles as possible to send over to South Africa. It has been agreed that we can use the company’s logistics system to make this happen.

So, if any of you have any old bikes or bike parts which are no longer needed, please take them into your branch or IS site and they will be picked up by the overnight vans and returned to the NDC. Once we have a van load, we will then arrange the transportation of these bikes to the BEN Bicycles logistics agent in Colchester where they will then be shipped to South Africa.

Any bikes are suitable, road bikes, mountain bikes, adults, childrens, working or not and any usable parts you may have lying around. You get to clear out your garage or shed and do some good as well. "