Welcome to the forum

Non-Drop Chaingang Tues 8th Aug, 7.30pm

edited August 2017 in Chain gangs
Forecast looking poor at the mo, and won't be turning up if so. A bit of drizzle or whatever is ok: but it will be safety first, as ever.

But, if it improves, I'll be up for a 2-lap all-inclusive, "no-one gets dropped" Chaingang if you are? We go as fast as is possible for the whole gang.

And then a third lap at full beans.

Ashwell, Three Tuns 7.30pm: departure/warm-up.
Steeple Morden, Waggon pub 7.35pm approx: for the start.

Bring lights.

Comments

• If dry I'm coming!
  • Cool. Weather forecast not brilliant, not a disaster either. I'm thinking I'll likely be up for a no-drop chaingang: as fast we can all go: together.

But will be keeping an eye on that rain radar app and see how it goes.

I'll be at Steeple Morden 7.35pm on my bad weather bike, to meet any people coming from Ashwell.
  • I'm still keen. Rain looks like it is holding off u til 8ish. I'll be at The Tuns at 1930.
  • Last minute forecast and rain radar looking much better: see you all soon.
  • edited August 2017
    I think Im going to come

Hoped to do intervals tomorrow but the forecast has put me right off. Tonight looks fine. I'll be there :)

I'll be at SM 7.35
  • Brutal!

3 out. Me, Nat - who seems to have had a body upgrade since I last saw him, or is wearing one of those padded Superman fancy dress suits, and Adam - who I haven't ridden with in ages and has slimmed down to a bullet in black rubber socks.

Hardest chaingang of the year. We rotated on lap 1 for 24.0mph, and then TTT'd Lap 2 for 24.5mph. I was holding on by the fingertips. A bit cold, but totally dry and just a light breeze.

Maybe the chaingangs are fading out now as people go on hols and think on to other things.
  • Cheers this was fun!!
  • I'll be back for blowout September lap record attempt after Alpine leg upgrade!
  • I'd be up for that Chris! 400+ on the front. 1-2 minute rotations. Easy!
  • An attempt at the chaingang lap record is a nice aim. I suggest to be legit, it should be done as a chaingang not a TTT, and on road bikes/no aeros or TT positioning. Not safe that way anyway.

We'd need several riders I reckon and decent weather conditions to crack the 9 miles @ 25.6mph; 21m 09s.

Apparently we were around 360w on the front and 210w at the back last night: a good example of the powerful effects of drafting.
  • I've wanted to do one of these all summer but not got around to it. I'm up for playing my part in a lap record attempt. Can you post a map of the course?
  • Chaingang loop;
    https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/996158-cc-ashwell-chain-gang-lap/

A record attempt could be Tues 29th Aug, or maybe Tues 5th Sept...
  • edited August 2017
    So had a rudimentary look at the numbers, just by hilighting the efforts on strava analyse and it gives you the average (well with the plugin I have it does)
    looks like we were doing around 190 in the draft
    310/320 (for me) on the front for 4 min pulls, with the last 3 ish min pull to the finish being 370

as a side note I'm focusing on being less chubby (chode), currently 65.5-66kg so w/kg will go up. Still a fair bit of unneccessary fat that I imagine will just continue to drop off naturally with intervals and no ben + jerry's. Seems to just shred off with no effort when you actually do some hard work. That pared with actually start to train in the past couple of weeks thanks to the motivation of my friend, numbers should start looking pretty good! Also need to get my stem to the floor; I feel like I'm riding a penny farthing. Not really sure why I haven't done that!

I'm convinced we'd have better and smoother numbers/efforts if our roads weren't so god damn AWFUL. Honestly, I can't think of one section of the chaingang route (or anywhere within 10 miles?) where you aren't bumping all over the place. It's truly, truly awful. It's certainly not the best for training, so I've just bought a decent turbo
  • I always wanted to join in by TT training usually stops me joining in. If they are on in September then id been keen as well. Its still riding in a straight line right?!?