Welcome to the forum

Eastern CX League round 1

Comments

• Just got back from the hols and vet 50 and women full already. Other cats have 5 or so in.
    Welcome to the club Mr Duckett :-)
  • Lots of representation from Ashwell in Round 1 across all the age groups. Just 3 of us in the V40 though as we have lost Tim and Richard to the next age group. (I know they don't look that old) A nasty crash at the start of our race resulted in a few riders on the floor and one rider clearly in a lot of pain, I managed to stop in time, Iain wasn't so lucky and ended up on the floor but thankfully no damage done. It wasn't long though before Iain came past me like a steam train and there was no way I could keep up with him at that speed. Despite a summer of TT's a few MSG's, grass track and some brutal early bird rides with Martin I was still someway off the pace and after 20mins was really struggling. The course with its 2 sets of steps and hurdles (that wouldn't look out of place on an athletics track) took their toll and I was losing ground with my lack of remounting skill. I had a group of seven riders all close to me and we switched positions several times during the race. A Basildon rider managed to break away and establish a good gap but I managed to reel him back in. With about a 1/4 lap to go I was right on his tail and as we entered a banked section he took a hand off his bars and started fiddling with his top, a few seconds later and he's dropped his car keys and had to stop to pick them up. One of the strangest things I've seen in a CX race. I gladly took the position and checked over my shoulder to see what was going on behind, with great relief I had around a 30m lead from the other 7 riders which was enough to save me from having to put in a sprint finish.
    I finished 47th out of 73 so not too bad for me but well off the pace of Dave and Iain who finished in 31st and 33rd respectively.
  • Nice write up Dan - well done. With 5 dismounts per lap not being able to get back on quickly is a disadvantage.
    Despite the V50 race filling up very quickly Jackie and I were able to get a place on the reserve list and ultimately a place after a few people dropped out prior to the race. A rider in front of me on the first steep camber made an error and I braked hard to avoid and rolled a tub. Managed to get it back on and nursed the bike to the pits for a change. At this point I was last and had been caught by the leading ladies including Jackie. We ended up racing to up for the rest of the race which was good fun. I probably had the edge on the technical bits but she powered past me on the straight bits.

Full results below

Senior race
    11Travis Pell
    21 Noah Field

V40-49
    30David Hadsley
    32Iain Foulkes
    47Daniel Hall

V50
    22Timothy Duckett
    27Peter Daniels
    37Daniel Doncaster
    40Stuart Field
    41Richard Lawrence

Vet Women
    2 Jackie Field

Youth and U14 These cats race together. The number is the overall placing not the position in the cat. The league results do not split that.

2 Adam Lightfoot Youth

20 Sam Daniels Youth

31Thomas Ayers Youth

66 Alfie Duckett Youth

24 Harley Pell Yth/Girl

14 Nathan Hardy Yth/U14

19 Mark Lightfoot Yth/U14

71Joseph Hadsley Yth/U14

U12

8Ethan Storti
    15Alistair Oppen

U10
    3 Louis Oppen U10

9 Elijah Storti U10

18 Logan Ayers U8

CCA currently 3rd place in team league with Jackie Harley and Adam scoring for us this time.

As Dan said good turn out again from CCA.