Welcome to the forum

Tour of Denmark report

Before tomorrow's UCI Chrono world amateur champions i though I'd better ride something for the recent race Tour of Denmark race on the 08th August in Holbæk.

As part of a holiday, myself and Janet entered the Tour of Denmark with a view of qualifying for TT finals in Albi on the 24th August with the time between the two races touring europe in our camper-van.

The race started in the middle of a quaint little town of Holbeak on an out and back course over 16 odd miles. The course was undulating with a hill on the turaroubd point but no real flat section.

We drove out to Denmark on the weds evening stopping in an "aire" in germany (seemed more like a dogging carpark if I'm honest) then finished the rest of the 900 mile drive on thursday. Friday we rode the course on our newly configured UCI legal setup (major shift for my setup) felt a bit frustrated as my power in this setup had been severly reduced, but them the rules!

At registration i was informed that this was the big race for the Danes as they only had a handful of "open" TTs per year and a number of ex pros were out. In addition, we had to place "sportive" style numbers on the front of the bike - glad I've spent so much money on being aero!

On morning of the race it was dark and windy and the forecast had heavy rain and thunderstorms. Janet started at 2:30 and i was off at 4:30.

We tried to be creative with our numbers by taping to the base bar which worked for Janet's but mine didnt which i found out with a few mins before my start.

Janet's race went well and is starting to find some of the power she's been missing all year since her knee injury 12 months ago. She finished 3rd, 4 seconds off 2nd but the winner, a pro triathlete, who won with a significant gap. Result meant that she's qualified for Albi (phew otherwise we would need to change the holiday plans). I have a podium photo with her in a CCA top which i will add later.

My race, not so good. Right up until my 30 secs to go i was trying to get my new number on my bike resulting in many of the final prep wasnt done and jumped on my bike as the timekeeper was counting down from 3. Visor still up, velotoez around my ankles and not clipped in as i was rolling down the start ramp. Also the heavens had now opened and the focus was staying upright on the cobles. Angry with the situation, i ended up putting out almost 20% higher watts than I've done all year but it was only good enough for 9th with the top 6 qualifying.

Anyway, I'm now sat here in Albi waiting for Janet to finish off her sighting lap as she's off at 08:30 UK time tomorrow.

Comments

• Best of luck tomorrow Janet.
  • Thanks for the write up Gareth, and best of luck tomorrow Janet!
  • Good luck for tomorrow
  • Good luck for tomorrow Janet - hope the England skinsuit has those fancy vortex generators like the pros :)
  • Thanks all.

@Jenny the grand fondo course is "interesting" we're staying at a campsite at the far end of the course where it goes up the side of a gorge. Lovely scenery is all i can say. Good luck

@Emmak thank you but I'm sure myself & Dave would say GB not england ;)