Welcome to the forum

CCA Cyclocross race at Princess Helena College - October 8th 2017

Hi everyone!

The cyclocross season is just about to start and CC is hosting round 4 of the Eastern League on October 8th. (I hope you all have this date in your calendars). We need lots for helps for this so please volunteer using this link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfcM0KuxEbpl_OQk0_swE0snQe0whYzFiJKCMtTdb6s_7Aimg/viewform?usp=sf_link

(Click on the link above or cut and paste into a browser)

Many thanks.

Daniel

Comments

• I've signed up! Should be free to help out.
  • Signed up for the day Daniel, happy to help out.
  • Field's x3 are down to hekp
  • I am down that weekend Daniel. Happy to help out any way you need. If it enables someone to race rather than help even better.
  • Hi all

Thank you for all who have signed up to help on Sunday. We just about have enough helpers for the day. If anybody else can help, we could still do with a couple more marshals ideally (particularly for the midday race). Please let us know in advance if you can help - either for all or part of the day.

We have suggested Claire H, Maggie and Stevie manage the sign on process. Could everybody else please arrive at the venue for 8.45am and meet Daniel and I at the start line for a briefing. Practise starts at 9am, the first race will start at 10am and the last race will finish at 3.30pm

Volunteers will get free frites and coffee and free use of a walkie talkie!

Address is: Princes Helena College, Preston, Stevenage, SG4 7RT.

For those of you who are racing and helping we have arranged the marshal timetable taking this into account.

See you all Sunday

Peter

• I’ll be there from 11.30, am working till 4am night before so won’t get there early doors...
  • We could really use some more people volunteering here. With the noteable exception of Will Smith non of the roadies have have volunteered to help with this event.

Richard Lawrence and I have trained as Accredited Marshals and are obligued to marshal AT LEAST 5 races per season each. That is at least 5 weekend days a year marshalling ERRL races. Without this CCA would be barred from racing the ERRL.

I am therefore disappointed that the road racers do not feel able to 'give back' some time in their off season.
  • Daniel -

Apologies from this roadie for not being able to assist this weekend, but my wife is away and I need to be looking after/transporting the kids.

Rgds
    Mat
  • Thomas and I will be there Saturday to help set up. On the Sunday, after the boys have raced I'll be able to help out but might have Logan in tow. If there's things i can help with please let me know.

Robert
  • Sadly, I don’t believe that any of the road racers that raced for CCA when I used to race are no longer in CCA or even riding these days. I’m sure some of them would love a frite or two though, I shall spread the word
  • We are now short of volunteers for marshals. If anyone else could spare some time on Sunday it would be much appreciated.
  • Hi Pete. Lindsey and Evan can make it for the afternoon - probably for the vet 40s race and beyond.
  • The final preparations are being put into place; beans are being loaded into coffee machines and potatoes peeled for frites.

Looking forward to setting up this afternoon from 13:30, thanks to those who are coming.

The Event Programme can be found here

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJbY5swlXdjuvzOKuQeATu7zBY41V0Rtmtx_q3mSeig/edit?usp=sharing
  • Pete, able to help, let me know how I can be useful

N
  • I can do any early stuff but I need to leave 11.30am at the latest as I have an away match in Stortford. Sorry.

Sal
  • Thanks N and Sal - please come along for 8.45/9 and meet me at the start line with the other marshals and I'll find you a job!

Pete
  • A great day to be running a cyclocross event and a much appreciated and successful one.

My sincere thanks to all who helped. It goes without saying that without such dedicated effort the event would not have happened.

We are very grateful to Princess Helena College for allowing us to use their grounds again. This allows us to stage a glorious course which is many people's favourite.
  • Well done Daniel and team! Great event, great course, Belgium frites and Duckett's down hill (damn that man!). Some great racing from everyone on a course that had just about everything - we just need a bridge! Thanks to everyone who helped organise, marshall, first aid and the school for allowing us to trash their garden. Def best event so far! I'm off to glue a tub back on...I daren't ask when it comes to tub glue, but any tips...
  • Daniel, you made it happen. The thanks is to you. tip for next time. coffee and chips would have done a reasonable trade if they had stock for the end of the senior race I recon.

Brilliant event. go a very positive vibe from everyone. a real treat was spending time watching events unfold in the senior race at duckett's ffffolly. Crazy bit of routing that had everyone looking for any sort of rideable line.

Great knowing we had a real first aider on hand also.

I've already advised Iain to take the tub tape off both sides before riding his tubs. But that wasn't helpful. not sure why tubs role but presumably with low pressure it is likely to happen? or can a crosser explain what needs to be done? carpet tacks perhaps?
  • Just to echo the above. Great event and course. Amazing how quickly it all came down with team CCA on the case.
    Also got a load of positive feedback from our guests.

Iain as for the glue I use Vittoria Mastic one - stickiest stuff known to man. Belgian tape method.
  • Daniel, you are the conductor that orchestrates this symphony of cycling. Very well done to you. That said, what a team we have. What epitomises this for me is that all those who could ride were able to. This couldn't be done without supreme organisation and the selfless help of those who don't ride cyclocross but dedicate their time anyway.

Organisation is one thing but a great event needs a great course. For this we have the school to thank for providing us with the canvas, and the artists to paint the course. Duckett's folly was inspired, a real focal point of the race.

Frites, waffles and great coffee were the icing on the cake.
  • 'CC Ashwell finally decide to try chip timing at a cyclocross event'

• The chip timing was very tasty.
    Well done Daniel and all who made this happen - a great event.
    Actually Dave nailed it "Daniel, you are the conductor that orchestrates this symphony of cycling"
  • echo all the above. great team effort and chips coffee
  • Yes thank you Daniel I nearly forgot. Definitely no trousers.
  • Great stuff Daniel. lots of good feedback on FB and from riders/supporters on the day.
  • A lovely day all round and we won first club again! Thanks Daniel, Pete and all the helpers.
    Some fabulous pictures here...https://judithparryphotography.co.uk/cyclocross-events