Welcome to the forum

Monday Night Is Disco Night

8:30pm for late night roller disco at URC Hall Ashwell.

Your 2018 training starts here....

Full details here ccaforum.co.uk/discussion/6698/monday-eve-late-night-roller-disco-from-11th-september#latest

Comments

• Great stuff. Looking forward to these again.

Was chatting to the Rose & Crown landlord yesterday. He said he'd missed us and our post-session drink and intravenous salted snack intake. I said we'd see him there 9.30ish.

Last year, I think trying to commit to these sessions was a fantastic boost to training. You put a lot more effort in when doing these intervals together. See ya there.

• Should be there! Turbo tonight, rollers next week
  • edited September 2017
    Won't be there

I can't get my rear mech to index.
  • 5 in da club last night. Next week: we're promised the 'big telly'!

Great workout. You definitely try harder when there's others with you.

£2. 8.30-9.30pm. Ashwell URC hall, sort of opposite the Three Tuns. Just listen out for the techno beat.
  • edited September 2017
    'Big Telly' all sorted now (dodgy cable)

Bring your popcorn next week
  • 4 out tonight... Nicki Minaj on the sound system and Big Tele broadcasting Aussie Chain Gang action. Nat's first time on rollers and was smashing it. Same time next week...
  • edited March 2018
  • Well done Nat. Good to see you - and proof that rollers aren't a dark art.

I'd say they're great for improving technique - and concentration. Useful for events like TTs, road races, long ascents/descents in the Pyrenees. If you haven't yet given them a go: they're a low cost way to make a big impact on your cycling this autumn/winter.

Hopefully, we'll get a few more regulars down the Monday club over the next few weeks. Just turn up. Rollers or turbo. 8.30-9.30pm. £2.

Last night was the inaugural use of the big telly. It was great, if not too engrossing and had to fight the instinct to turn when the riders on the TV were turning.
  • Should be there :)

Will get involved in some
    Intervals. Also going to try no hands see where we
    Get
  • edited October 2017
    Nat. and anyone else interested.
    From my early coaching days I stressed the need for developing smooth all round figure of 8 .
    To achieve this forget about watts and high cadence.
    Concentrate on the action and developing little used muscle groups.
    You can't pedal smooth and fast if you have roadie tendencies. most road riders stress the down stroke of the crank. Think about out of the saddle hill climb techniques. Its mostly about body weight and bouncing on the downstroke. That is why track fixed wheel riders are smoother as they are used to pulling power through 360deg. full rotation.Think about starting from the gate and how much power is in the up as well as the down.
    Consider an equilateral triangle. The apex represents the crank at top dead centre.TDC
    From tdc to the base line is the most power. Along the base line you need to pull your heel back.This is the hardest and the third face from base back to apex is a pull up using clips/cleats, easier than the base line pull.
    If you soft pedal/no power on the first down stroke then pull hard back and pull hard up to the apex you will discover how little you use those muscle groups.
    If you regularly intersperse your roller sessions or turbo sessions with this technique you will discover a whole new level of smoothness and power available.
    Don't try more than 5minute sessions but repeat regularly.
    You are now using both legs to pull rather than push. Anyone trying one leg riding will know this feeling but the benefit of keeping both feet clipped in is that you don't need power on the down stroke to maintain the full rotation.
    Try it and discover for yourselves how little you use those muscles.
    This will greatly enhance your hill climbing when seated.
    Have fun.
  • edited October 2017
    Thanks geoff. Yes, I think about this on (literally) every ride I do.

I spent a lot of time on a wb, and it was visually evident (thanks to the glaring graph in front of me) how bad my pedal stroke is.

I have been doing easy 200np rides solely concentrating on just smooth technique. Still not there by ANY means - but getting closer. 15+ years of bad technique, since being a little kid, to un-learn can't be done overnight

Track (obviously fixed) has helped immensely, already.

edit: richard has us doing one legged riding round the track a couple weeks ago and it was evident then how choppy I still am, unless really concentrating on it.
  • edited October 2017
    just try my routine and you'll feel the improvement. First step is realising the need. You are there. Go for it.
    One leg doesn't cut it really because you tend to still over push on the down to counter a weaker bottom and up stroke.
  • Cheers very good

No hands has now turned in to a winter goal - haha. Will get there

Focused on dynamics tonight in stead of leg speed, sat pretty much constantly between 105-110 during the intervals. 180 max this time on a blast, 30 more than last. Getting smoother.

198w np so I can actually class that as base hours
  • sorry i wimped out yesterday. exhausted.
  • Some new faces last night on our 1 hour techno-fuelled spiral of intervals.

Hopefully as the season fizzles out, or fizzles up if you're CXing, there'll be even more of a turnout. It's weird how doing these sessions as a group pushes you to go harder at it. All good for fitness as the cold and dark kicks in.

8.30-9.30pm. Rollers or turbo. £2. Just turn up, set up and go and just give it welly to the commands from the TV, or take things further if you want to like Nat is. All welcome.

• I'll bring the Endura jacket samples with me on Monday. Can bring stock kit along as well if anyone needs anything. Let me know.
  • It's Rockin' Robbie Rollers this Monday!

1hr turbo or rollers burn-up at the Ashwell URC hall, sort of opposite the three tuns. Every track of the night will have a Yorkshire theme or link, what with Robbie with us. Have you ever sprinted at max heart rate, eyeballs out, to the Emmerdale theme tune? Now's yer chance to take your cycling to a new level.

Kick off 8.30pm. £2.

Post-effort drink with Robbie. Rose and Crown 9.30pm.
  • Ey up, bring Turbo, rollers or owt, we'll have a reight good night, 'n towl for when it gets manky, Eeh by gum!
  • By ekk that sounds a reet bobby dazzler an no mistake. See you up 't ginnal betwix URC and Hall at haf pas ate
  • edited October 2017
  • See you tonight, down t'pit.

• edited October 2017

• I just remembered I particularly (didn't) enjoy that 10/10 near the end where on the screen it said "You should be grovelling so low you don't even have a shadow"
  • No stopping for half term - 8:30pm as usual - £2

Get ya Chain Gang face on.
  • ill be there tonight just to spin legs
  • Thanks Matt and Martin and anybody else involved in putting these sessions on