Welcome to the forum

CCA 100 mile Hatfield Forest club ride - Sun 25 April 8.30am

edited March 2010 in Club runs
Sunday 25th April 8.30am start

• The first Club 100mile ride of 2010!

Scenic, leisurely ride to Hatfield Forest, Stansted sorta way. Club run speed til lunch - then possibly splitting into two groups depending on group needs. Lunch details tbc.

Includes a support car/broomwagon [cheers Geoff]! Back before 4pm.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/ashwell/262541238592

Option to break back to make it 100km [60 miles] instead, if short on time/energy!

Contact martin@ccashwell.com for details

Comments

• Am just getting this ride back to the top of the forum here really: I hope there are a few who fancy this ride.

Get involved here with the forum if you do and want to express a view on it - a bit faster/slower. An earlier start?

Geoff - given we have your kind offer of a support vehicle - does it make sense to have lunch out of the car? A lot cheaper, 'instant' and quicker. It might suit the group. Just a thought. Am thinking Crumps sausage rolls, Days Of Ashwell cakes: local business support. Charlie Rose bouquet for sprint finish winner???
  • Sounds fine to me.........Radwinter common would make a great stop...a pub there also for toilets and water stop/coffee. I'm up for it...will post route...think there is one on last years calendar...same route and worked fine. Are people organising their own lunch for me to carry??
  • this was a great ride last year, seem to remember about 11 of us got to the pub around 60 miles, 3 batted on , the other 8 of us had a quick pub lunch then a great ride home all finishing together. think i'd clocked about 110 miles when i got home.
    having persuaded my wife that saturday is a much better day than sunday for our daughters 4th birthday party, definately up for it again, as is my mate paul (2nd claim) who did it last year too. lunch out of the car sounds good. happy to help arrange if it helps.
  • Thanks for the offer to help Stef. There may be one or two things to sort out beforehand - and as you've ridden the route before, perhaps you could deputize a group if there's a split later on like last year?

Talking to Geoff last night: I think the emerging plan is to grab a few sausage rolls from Crumps, flapjacks from Days, bananas from Charlie Rose - that sort of thing, the day before. We can then have a quicker field lunch from the car rather than a full blown stop-off lunch. I think people would prefer this? Maybe £2-3 sub to cover costs. Obviously people can bring their own butties instead. It might keep us all together for longer?

It'd be good to have a sense of numbers - but appreciate people might make a decision spontaneously. I'll put a call out for numbers just before the day. 11 or so would be amazing.
  • Martin, I'm definitely going to be there.
  • Martin, yes happy to lead a group if it splits. last year think well over 20 started, a few split to make it a 50 miler, lots more split to complete a 100 k ride, leaving 11 for the full 100 mile. its a great route, hilly and scenic to start then the last 40 miles were flat and fast . well worth seeing through the 100 miles if you can spare the time.

lunch plans sound good. that sort of fee for lunch seems entirely reasonable. stayed in a hotel in le mans on sunday night, and the cervelo and ag2r teams were staying too ahead of the 4 day circuit de la sarthe race thats on now. bmc and bougere telecom were in the hotel over the road. my wife directed one of the riders (phillip deignan we think) to the local supermarket where he bought 2 trolley loads of bottled water to get the team through the race... so our plans for butties and sausage rolls seem pretty sophisticated by comparison! i spent a very content (or in my wifes view "sad") hour watching the cervelo mechanic clean and build the bikes on monday morning.
  • hahaha Stef.....think we all know where both you and wife are coming from...think most share that understanding...it's called benign tolerance of the afflicted.
  • Good point Stef - I cut off last year to have a great 60-miler [100k]. Loop back the other side of Stansted to Ugley Green, Manuden, the Pelhams and back. A good idea for those want to push things - but not too much.

A little less still? Turn north at Much Hadham and pick up pretty much the same route back for 50m.

Sounds like a great time in le mans Stef. I bumped into Fabian Cancellera in The Three Tuns last night actually. I think it was him - some time after we finished off the last barrel of Hare Raiser.
  • Just bringing this ride to the top again: it's a couple of Sunday's away now.

An ideal hassle-free 100 for training sportivers, those wanting to burn a few more calories than usual for the Summer, and those that want to get beyond the usual lanes and roads for a longer natter with fellow members.

Fingers crossed for more of this great weather right now.
  • Sunday's forecast: Total sunshine, 19 degrees and a tailwind for the return miles.
    Cycling doesn't get less tougher than this!

I'll put a shout out on Friday for a sense of numbers, so I can get the right amount of foodstuffs.

Don't forget it's an 8.30am start.
  • Hi all,

my name is stuart bilcock (ken mockford is my outlaw) i joined you guys for your geoff denny last year and hope its ok if i tag along this weekend please let me know i'll chip in for fuel cost etc.

PS - DAVE, ken sends his regards : )
  • hi stuart.remember you...welcome...give Ken my regards..Geoff G....no probs re. fuel.
  • Hi Geoff,

Thanks for swift reply and acceptance on your ride, I also happen to know Kevin Stoker (my parents friends) who I know is also attending on Sunday. Ken is on holiday on 25th so wont be able to make it. (the lengths people go to to get out of a long ride hey!). Any ideas where I can park near the start? not much space down station road by cemetery?

Stu
  • I'll be there. Looking forward to it. Let me know if you want me to bring any supplies.
    Chris
  • Stu. The road just past the cemetery that runs to the springs and The Tuns normally has space, that's where I'll be parking, c u Sunday.

Geoff. Do you still plan to drive and could you take my 'supplies' with you ?

Kevin
  • OK thanks Kevin i'll do that. See you there.
  • Yes Kevin..............for all concerned Martin was planning to buy some Crumps suasage rolls and some Days flapjacks..I'll get some bottled water as top ups and maybe some bananas......those who want to bring own lunch..I will take in the car

some idea of numbers would be good as Martin said earlier

.....I plan to stop ahead of you every 5-10 miles.....will have mobile so call if problems and will get back to the group...07985096231.......
    A good 1st stop is in Hatfield Forest...lunch probably at Radwinter Common........other stops down to Martin......the start is a bit hilly but beautiful country..aim to average 14-15mph up to Radwinter, should keep everyone together then..worked fine last year...the back half is fast,openflowing roads a little like France, and you will bomb along......The weather promises to be fine and I'm gutted to be missing it.......let's have a really good turnout for the clubs first 100miler of the year...cheers guys.
  • Cheers geoff. Thanks again for being our support vehicle. Very kind. Maybe we'll stop other than lunch. Maybe just keep on trucking.

Riders. Let me know here if you plan to do the 100 and haven't said so already so I don't under/overspend. Geoff: I reckon we just load up at the cemetary just before 8.30am. Am thinking 11 people.

Skelders and whoever wants just 60m/100k: I can point you that way when we get to molehill green.

The forecast remains excellent. Steady, allcomer Inclusive pace. Should be grand.
  • Need to be back by 12.30 so planning to cut back for 50-60 miles (Much Hadham?) Jeremy W and I did it last year but would appreciate guidance on a quieter route back. Martin - any thoughts?
  • i'll be with you Tim, also on time restrictions
  • i will be making an early return also - so i will be joining tim & tim if that is ok
  • Am intending to come along, not sure for how long. What time does the 100mile ride normally get back to Ashwell?

Julian
  • me + a mate, paul, for the 100 miler.
    last year think we got back before 4 pm and that included an hour in the pub for lunch
  • hi all
    i will be at the start gate at 8.30 if time & energy permit i will do the full monty if not i will tag along with the rest who
    are splitting off if thats ok see you sunday
    strappy
    some one said rain showers sunday !! hope not.
  • Weather forecast has gone downhill somewhat: but remains warm.

For those wanting just 45 miles total. Turn north at Much Hadham, Little Hadham, Patmore Heath, Furneaux Pelham, the Hormeads, Barkway etc. Route;

http://bit.ly/9HzlrR

If you want to ride together for longer, stay with us until Molehill Green for 64 miles total - Elshenham, Ugley Green, that easily missed right turn off the B1383 to avoid deepest Stansted Mountfitchet, Manuden, Stocking Pelham, Brent Pelham, Anstey, Nuthampstead, etc. Route;

http://bit.ly/dgoExp

See you 8.30am
  • Hi,
    Potential new member Darren here.

Finally getting the chance to come out with you now lad's football season is virtually over. Did come out with you for a ride about September but back was playing up so had to split off.

Fancy coming out tomorrow if that's OK but can't do the whole 100 miles, need to be back about 12ish.

Darren
  • Martin,
    I am up for an 8.30am ride but probably only going to be able to cover 60miles. Certainly want to be home by 1pm. Unfortunately i cannot spend the whole day on my bike. Would like to think we could do 100miles by 1pm but failing that may peel off early depending on your pace. if club pace i will be off. Solely due to time constraints and getting in quality miles while i can. So no offence. Time permitting i would love the long steady and sociable option.
    Look forward to starting out with you all.
    Vincent
  • i take this opportunity to advertise that we will be starting the tuesday evening chaingangs in early may. I will put a note on the tuesday chaingang discussion forum later this weekend.
    Aim to group by 7pm and off by 7.15pm for an your or so through and off.
    Regards,
    Vincent
  • Vince - see you at 8.30 - though it's really all-inclusive Club speed - so too slow for you and Alex - if you want to push the tempo.

All I could suggest is you stay with us for the first few miles and fly off Essex way. Maybe do the 64 mile option route.

Am well up for the Tuesday chain btw. 7.15pm start is a stretch though from London. Let us know the route. I have a theory late-comers could ride the route the other way til they met the blue train a coming thru.
  • great ride, thanks to all especially martin for the lunch etc, and geoff/johan for the support vehicle and help with all the punctures (9 or 10? i lost count) etc... we couldnt have dont it without you. apologies for mot quite making it to the end of the ride but we had already clocked 100 with the ride from home and needed to get back. i clocked 106 at 15.9 mph in the end, not bad given the dreadful weather conditions and slow average speed (13 mph?) for the first 3 hours....