Welcome to the forum

Hill Climbing

Dave and I have been having a bit of late-season racing fun by doing a few open hill climbs. I'm sure there's plenty that would disagree with the description 'fun', but there is something very special about hill climbs. The events take all the best bits of time trialling (enthusiastic organisers, meeting in obscure village halls), with the added bonus of amazing supporters (complete with cow bells) and some of the most amazing scenery our country has to offer.

It's also given a great excuse for a bike-build project. It's amazing how much stuff we have adding weight to our bikes that we don't really need. Why have five bolts holding your chainring on when three will do! Cut the drops off the handlebars! Socks...they weigh 30 grams!

As with many women's cycling events numbers are generally lower than the men's events. That means I'm getting to meet some of the same riders at various events and there is a brilliant atmosphere as we fight it out each week. Low-point of the season so far was missing out on a third-place toy bison (for racing up Bison Hill, of course) by a tenth of a second; high point was winning at Goodwood by beating an Olympic medallist (rowing, not cycling!)

Reality has now hit home as we've both just received our acceptance emails to the National Championships on 29th October. It's way up in Northumberland - a nine hour round trip for a 6 minute race. So a week and a bit of final training is now in store before enjoying the experience of an event on a large scale (240 riders).

However, the main event, of course, is the CCA club hill climb the following week. For anyone who hasn't done this before - do it, it's a brilliant morning out for such a short amount of pain. Either that or just come a drink the post-climb beers. CCA did such a great job at the recent interclub event there's should be an excellent competition going.

I'll let Dave tell his own story - and hopefully share some of the very special photos showing just how much he enjoys hill climbing. And I know Mitchy has also done at least one event in CCA colours - let us know how you got on!

Comments

• All the best at the nationals Jenny & Dave......& Jenny, if it were me, I drop the rower bit from the write up - nobody will check!
  • Good luck to you both - all sounds a bit brutal ( especially missing out on the bison).
    Looking forward to the report
    Jackie
  • 29th oct. Why not stop over before the climb Dave and Jenny. It's not too far from mine and you'd get there rested. I should be sufficiently mobile by then so will aim to get up and support you.
    This might suit Jeremy also.
  • Hi Geoff, actually, we're hoping to catch up with family on the way up, and staying pretty much on the hill but thanks very much for the offer!
    Glad to hear you're recovering, I'm sure you'll be back on the road soon - no more chasing naughty Strava segments, though..! ;-)
  • sounds like a plan...enjoy. I'll give the strava a miss then :-)
  • So it’s taken a good few days to recover enough from riding 6 and a half minutes to even think about writing a race report! This was one of the best events I’ve ever done, right up there at the top of the list along with Tour of Malta for sheer enjoyment value. GS Metro, the host club, are apparently only a small club but it was incredible to see the scale of event they managed to pull together.

Having scoped out the climb the day before in 50mph winds, it was a relief to have a cold but sunny race day with only light winds. Dave was one of the early riders and it was so nerve-wracking waiting for him to appear. He looked strong as he powered up through the final bend.

My start time was 3 hours later, so my main aim was not to use up nervous energy before warm up. I don’t remember much about the actual race; I just focused on the tarmac and tried to block out the distractions. I have hazy memories of random people shouting my name and a wall of sound where the spectators had gathered with 600m to go. Only afterwards did I see pictures of a snowman, hunting horns and some horrific looking men in mankinis – glad I didn’t see that as I was riding! The crowd were incredible and really made it a fantastic event.

I managed 27th place in the senior women competition – just a little off my target position and wattage, but an amazing experience all the same. I’m definitely up for having another crack next year – there’s a team prize for the lowest combined times of three riders, so if anyone else fancies it just shout!
  • edited November 2017
    Hup! Hup! Hup!

• Can't really add much to what Jenny said (I can still barely talk...), but a great event.
    Pretty amazing to be able to compete against some of the best out there, in such a niche event - some pretty unique (and mainly small) individuals, on odd-looking, cannibalized bikes. Some crazy power being generated by very small people too - the 64kg winner averaged 506watts for just under 4 minutes, making my 330watts look pretty mediocre - it was pretty much bang on target for me, but it highlighted the massive difference between the lower ranks and the top ten placings...

Jenny appeared in a couple of videos that gives a good flavour, if not the pain, of the event:

https://www.facebook.com/dave.wells.790/videos/10154973447536787/

• Well done you two. A great thing to do and really enjoyed the write up and the video and pics. looking good for Sunday!