Welcome to the forum

National Trophy Series, round 4, Gravesend

The National Trophy race was at the Cyclocpark in Gravesend today. The course was like last year's inter regionals but on steroids - very technical. As you can imagine I took to it like a duck to treacle.

The grown ups race started just after sunrise at 10:15. For the sighting laps the ground was hard and seemingly frozen. A new feature was an off camber descent. Standing at the top it was like looking at a polished plate; queues of terrified riders hesitated at the top wondering how to get down. I bravely demonstrated one way, which involved dropping plumb to the bottom, at speed, and getting tangled in the tape. During the race itself I used various techniques including sliding down on my bottom. In fairness I think it unlikely we need to practice any of these on Wednesday evenings.

By the end I was pleased I'd done it. Probably 3rd (alternative counting method).

I didn’t see anything of the Youth girls race as I was trying to recover! Harley was racing in this one.

By the Youth boys race I was pitting for Sam. He was racing with Nathaniel, Adam and (separate race but at the same time) Mark. Clearly conditions had changed a lot. A great deal in fact, as the youth were coming down the offcamber descent of doom with casual nonchalance; sticking out an occasional leg to push them along.

Great rides from the Youth; no idea of results I am afraid.

In summary this was a very hard course (I’ve not mentioned the incredible climb and offcamber winding descent; terrifying). However great to experience this level in the context of the usual league races we do.

Comments

• Well done Daniel
  • love reading your dry humour at the horror of the rides Daniel :-)
  • Brilliant!, very funny and well done on 3rd!

• Harley was well up in the top 10 when a rider fell in front of her on the last descent during the first lap taking her down as well. She recovered well for 11th.

Adam had his best national race of the season coming in 8th. Nathan Hardy was 23rd and Mark Lightfoot was 33rd. I think Mark had a mechanical problem because he was running well up in the top 20 earlier on.