Welcome to the forum

Stow Scramble cx

I'm sure it will be great if we get there but I'm a bit worried about getting stuck on the A14. Who's still going?

Comments

• I really need the points but I’m not going to risk it.
  • Damn it, I've always wanted to do a Cx race in the snow, it will be fantastic and stacks of points up for grabs, but don't think I'm going to risk it either.
  • We are off soon, going to give it a go. It's currently raining in Ipswich so there won't be snow on the course. It will probably be a bog.
  • Good luck Mark.
  • Thought about it for a while, but don't fancy the roads in this. Might go out later on the cross bike round here. Good luck to those giving it a go!
  • Fields haven't gone either. Looking on facebook think it was a good call
  • edited December 2017
    Racing is on though. The Oppens, Stortis and Ayers are there earning points for the team. Harley is there waiting for the start but snow settling on the course.

Update - looks like Harley got first youth girl and Nathan H 3rd U14 so looks ok for team
  • Well done to all those that got there. I did a couple of hours on the bridleways, was great on the fresh snow, tricky where lots of walkers had trampled and treacherous in car tracks.
  • edited December 2017
    Nice one Tim. Looks like our brave v50 club mates got bumper points today
  • Yeah, that was always a risk in not going...lots of points for Pete and Mark!
  • It took us 3 hours to get there! We got to Ipswich ok but a lorry got stuck on the hill away from the A14/A12 junction. We had to go on to the next junction and back through town and then it took ages to get up the hill to the course with loads of people getting stuck. I made it with just time to change and pin my number on. Pete was already there looking relaxed and ready to go. Snow all over the course apart from in the woods. One long run and then the hill through the woods became too tough to ride. First lap was exciting as I didn't know what was coming up but it was ok once I settled in. Pete passed me at the end of the first lap and gradually pulled away.

The roads were clear for the journey home and we got back at normal speed.
  • We had no trouble getting there or getting home - Pippa Sparks told everyone to stay at home so the roads were nice and quiet for us (see smug face!). Mark was unlucky with the lorry thing I think

It was snowing when we arrived and the Youth race set off in about 2 inches of snow. Similar for us. Nathan, Sam, Tom and Harley all raced well (sorry I missed the U10/12 races as was in the car warming up with coffee, but Ethan, Elijah, Alistair, Louis and Logan all raced). The surface comprised sloppy mud, ice, hidden leaves and err snow. When you get to a corner you kind of point the bike in the right direction, slip about a bit, put your foot down if you need to and it all works out in the end. Otherwise it was generally fine to ride if a bit sloggy. Braking was all a bit pointless and best avoided really. The hardest bit was clipping back in as the ice built up on the cleats. I managed to ride the woods so only had to get off and run once (albeit a long run).

All in all I think snow is a Good Thing and we should order more of it - though I appreciate not everyone would agree with this

Got my highest ever position today - 12th. For some reason the turnout was low which may have helped.

Looking forward to the elf race next week - hope it snows then too. Pippa will help get us there I'm sure!

• You've moved 2 places above me in the league, Pete! He who dares eh.....
  • Nice write up Mark and Pete. Sounds like fun although think we would have been caught like Mark in the traffic as we tend to leave later now we don't have to be there for the youth race.
    Don't think you need to worry about the points Tim as you have a race in hand.