Welcome to the forum

Christmas racing down at Lee Valley Velopark

edited December 2017 in Road Racing
Hi all

Just a quick note to say that there were three CCA racers down behind the London velodrome just before Christmas for the Winter Series crits there. Me, Dave W and Steve J.

Delighted to report that we all scored points. I managed to catch the end of Steve's Cat 4 race, where he managed to get into the four-man break and grab 4th place in what was a faster race than the Cat 3 race me and Dave were in after. If Steve does that again, he'll go to Cat 3.

Me and Dave fought off the excesses of the CCA Xmas Bash in the 50 minute Cat 3 race. Low numbers = nowhere to hide. It was tough always being effectively on the front, and if there was a surge, it was dig deep time. At one point we overtook the E12 race that was on the circuit at the same time, much to their chagrin (they soon put the hammer down again). In the closing sprint I was in 3rd place with less than 50 metres to go and was dreaming of something special. But got swamped literally with a few metres to go. In retrospect I should have worked the wind direction and the riders on the front to my favour more. Anyway: 8th place, and Dave 10th - insert Dave doing too much work on the front line here. So Christmas points for all three of us in the 2018 season already. Ho ho ho.

We sat inside the velodrome afterwards with a coffee while Christmas tunes played over the tannoy and riders from a training session went around. It was a nice way to start Christmas.

Really hoping a few more CCA will put their skills to the test at a race or two in 2018. They're very thrilling and great for improving technique and strength. Cheers.

Comments