Welcome to the forum

2018 Cycling in Yorkshire and Durham

The Tour de Yorkshire is on 3rd to 6th May inclusive. Stages 3 and 4 Saturday and Sunday are accessible from my farm for day rides to watch. Anyone interested in a cycling break is welcome up here. I'll prepare routes for those days.

I will also be preparing routes for weekend rides once a month from April to October and will post these in January. Anyone planning to ride some serious climbs in Europe is welcome to stay here and enjoy some fun rides for training.

Post on here if interested. Happy cycling in 2018.

Comments

• Snow and ice finally cleared and some sun so thinking of riding tomorrow. Generally speaking it's good riding weather from the end of March. Jeremy and I will probably be doing a Marske to Reeth coming back via tan Hill and brough in March. I'll post some routes later for anyone interested in coming then.
  • Well, that was illuminating. Good ride but the lack of riding showing. 55miles, 3500ft at 12.5mph. Early days so hoping weather gives us a few days this month. Thanks Jeremy.
  • So who was cycling up Carlton Bank N.yorks last week? My friends reckon they saw CCA riders.
    .. just googled the hill climb 5mins 39 secs Stuart Dangerfield on a fixed 42 21. Awesome av 10% with a 25% section. Old school HARD.
  • Spotted! That was Dave and I, persuading Dave's uncle to show us the local sights while visiting family at the weekend. I take it your friends were the kindly souls who recommended we didn't go down the other side as it was covered in snow and ice. A good climb which pushed us right to the limits.
  • Thought it might be you two
  • It's on the extreme outward loop of my 107 mile ride. Martin dropped me a line. Do drop in next time you visit.
  • It is a vicious hill- don't fancy coming across that one as part of a 107mile ride...
    5.39 is pretty impressive - makes my 10.38 look very pedestrian, but I would caveat that we were on full winter bikes and wet weather gear! Happy with my 4th fastest placing this year, and it was still much easier than the climb out of Egton Bridge...
  • Depends on how fast you try and get up it dave. They are all okay if you take it sensibly as a part of the total ride. Maybe see you here this year. ?
  • Jeremy and I are planning to do his sedburgh circular from brough this Sunday, weather permitting. It's a wonderful 60 mile route going through Kirkby Stephen down the eastside of the m6 and backup the weSt side to brough. If anyone is up and interested you'd be welcome.
  • Just a cheery hello from up here. Not sure what it's like down there in sunny ashwell but up here there's no prospect of getting out for some time. 50mph winds and genuine blizzard conditions with over a foot of snow and severe drifting. Hunkered down in the farmhouse and dreaming of sunny days cycling in southern spain.
  • A week on we are almost clear of snow. Friday looks the best day for weeks so if I can I'll be on a 40 mile ride. Worst we have had in the 6 years I've been up here so hoping we have seen the back of it. Woefully short of riding so not optimistic about next Friday's 3 cafes ride.
  • Great to see Phil Adams and Jo up here Thursday. Phil rode over the stang from Gunnerside where they were staying. Wind was atrocious so a real hard man's ride. Chapeau Phil.
    I'm finally getting out for a ride today. It's a bit spring like. Nothing too serious just a rolling out and back 40miles.
    I'll post up some suggested dates for weekends uphere if you are interested in some fun cycling in the most beautiful part of the country.
  • Nice ride to Hurworth yesterday taking in 2 cafes. Good day for a ride at last . Rolling route and 60 miles logged. Getting fitter.
  • Nice one Geoff, good to read you're back on two wheels and rolling well......I'd like to say I enjoyed The Stang, but it was much more a case of just surviving to the top and keeping both wheels firmly on the ground. That said, I loved it and thanks to the great hospitality/scenery I'll definitely be back again soon. Cheers.
  • Cheers Phil. New chimney lined up and running properly. New watertanks up and running. Sleet today so no cycling.
    I'll post dates and routes as soon as it looks like the weather is on the up. Good to see you.
  • Can't believe this weather. Snow on the tops today. Roll on warmer times.
  • Happy easter to you all from the north. Complete white out with 3 to 4 inches of snow. What a weird year. Last year it was very warm and I could cycle in short sleeves and shorts. Can't even cycle much at all this year.
    As for our farm it's been an atrociously cruel winter and the losses are sad and depressing. It will take years to recover the numbers lost.
    Despite that it is still beautiful if savage and the rewards far outweigh the bad.
    Hope to see you some of you here later in the year when summer finally arrives.
  • Woohoo..............Sunshine and no wind. I'm off for a ride later.

For those into grass track I've just reset our track in Ashwell with Shelton. Should be a good year for you down there. Have fun.
  • that was fun. A hilly 50 miles at an easy pace with a nice cafe stop.
    Looks like the weather is improving. Another one this Wednesday and out with Jeremy on sunday.
    I'll post up the first planned weekend dates and routes soon. I;m thinking that Friday 4th to sunday 6th May might work. Let me know if this is of interest.
  • spoke too soon. Have been enclosed in a mist for 2 days. Wet and can't see past the next field. Unbelievable weather.At least it's warm. Hohum. Any better down south?
  • Wow...proper weather at last...did my N.Yorks moor run yesterday. First 100 miler this year. Tan lines established 2018. Wonderful to be riding S/S and shorts.
  • trundled out on Friday with Jeremy for a 53 mile ride. managed 14 mph over 3000ft so getting fitter. Tks to JP for helping me get my mojo back. Descending at speed again. Surprising how a bad accident dents ones confidence.
    Weather is on the up here at last so looking to get the miles in now.
    The leaves are coming out, fields green, birds nesting and lambs gambolling in fields.
    The mobile home is ready for riders so looking forward to seeing some of you up here this year.
  • well, after 2 big rides during the Tour de Yorkshire to watch and then just enjoy the rides I took a break. Out with Jeremy and 3 of his cycling friends from Cumbria today. We all met up on Tan Hill and enjoyed the stang and a rolling ride out to Middleton in Teesdale.
    We parted company there with them cycling on to alston and back to Appleby where they started. I probably rode about 55miles but they will have completed 100 miles. Some hard riding. mike and Rob were both in their 60's so I'm going to have to improve to ride with these.
  • OK so May doesn't work for anyone.
    Going to suggest 12th and 13th June...saturday and sunday
    followed by Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd July.
    If anyone wants to come up the day before or stay on the Monday then great. No problem.
    If these dates work and you want to discover some great routes just drop a line here and I'll post the routes
  • glorious day here Sunday. Same with you I hope. Jeremy and I rode a steady 96 mile ride out to the North York Moors. Avoided the worst of the climbs but managed 5000ft at 14.5 average. Happy days.
  • Sunday promises to be glorious again this Sunday. Going to do another 100. Going to do some hills for a change :-)
  • Rubbish weather sunday...whatever happened to sunshine and no wind!!! Gave it a miss and went today.....had to shorten it to 65 miles ...stuff to do on't'farm.
    It's hay fever time for me so felt sluggish.....I need Bradley's doc.
  • lovely little 50 miler into weardale and return from frosterly and Hamsterly. About 4500ft
    Great coffee stop at Peggotys in Wolsingham.
  • What a glorious weekends cycling.
    Friday Jeremy and Mike came over from Cumbria and stayed overnight. We cycled 9000ft in 90miles..route here https://www.plotaroute.com/route/472511
    we added Askrigg to hawes and then over buttertubs for fun.
    Today we just did a 40 mile route of 4000ft to round off the cycling. Great fun.