Welcome to the forum

CC Ashwell 3 Cafes Classic, Friday 16 March 2018

13»

Comments

• Noted Vincent
  • Hope you had a good ride. Very sorry I had to be back for 1pm. 6 years up north and I seem to have forgotten the routes. Got detached and undecided on directions. Waited for Vincent nat and archie. They had 2 punctures so were quite a while. They were going well and I struggled to keep up on the hillier bits. Had to turn back at Debden. I made it in time so all good. Was good to chat to a few. The club is looking strong. Good to see Phil and Peter. Beards seem to be in fashion
  • Today’s route with photos https://t.co/mSP3XSfiGW
  • Well done all. Must have been glorious. We went out for a ride after work and it was warm and still and we thought of you. The relive looks interesting. Guessing a couple of punctures and wrong turns?
  • Thanks all for a great day. We had the most brilliant weather with a light tailwind both ways.

We split into two groups for the whole way. In the second group we had too many punctures, but in the pleasant conditions and with good banter, it didn't matter at all.

We met up in the first two cafes. In the Blue Egg, we ceremoniously doused Jess's CCA Cap in cafe coffee. A new tradition. Then, onwards to the Maglia Rosso near Bury St Edmunds. Here we enjoyed our lunches, restocked with inner tubes and air canisters, then a forgetful Vince sped off without paying for his food.

At various points we split, then regrouped, in charming Suffolk villages and lay-bys, waiting in warm sun and the lightest of breezes, all a bit overdressed, with the skylarks singing in the hedgerows.

We arrived at cafe three - Bicicletta - at Saffron rush-hour, as the other group left. They were still open for another 15 minutes, so good opportunity to load up on more cake. A guilty Vince paid for his Maglia Rosso lunch by phone.

And so for the last challenging hilly bit to Chishill. Nice and steady in the fading light. On the downhill, most of us opted to do the full route, while others needed to short cut. By Slip End it was dark, but to our east we could see huge billowing clouds gathering through the dusk and we arrived at the Three Tuns as the Beast began to breathe its Siberian cold again.

After a recovery drink and chips in the very friendly Three Tuns - who kindly opened for coffee in the morning - we all went home with the goal of watching Milan-Sanremo with our slightly battered bodies on the sofa.

Along the way, it was great to catch up with others. Good discipline on the roads too - it must be said. The spirit of these club Classics is a good thing. So see you on another soon. There's more to come: notably the G-Ride in April.
  • Thanks for a great day out see you all next year.

• You mean Martin that Dom doused Jess's cap in coffee!! :)
  • Brilliant! The company, the weather, the cafes, the route, the camaraderie and all those that worked so tirelessly on the front (not me!). I must confess I occupied the "armchair" seat for as much of the ride as poss, and I'm most grateful to those that occupied the front throughout - there are some strong club riders out there.....

Arriving at the Maglia Rosso was an absolute godsend and it arrived in the nick of time. The coffee followed by the world's best scrambled egg and beans on toast ever successfully managed to revive a physically depleted and weary body.

It was great to see and chat with some familiar faces as well as so many new ones. The club is clearly in good shape.....Vive la CCA.

On a personal training note, given how it all went, I can highly recommend Chris Carmichael's 8/9 week "experienced century" training plan. I have followed it religiously for that last 9 weeks in the hope it would suffice - it did. Anyone else in need of getting going again relatively quickly this is a great plan.

Finally, a big big thanks to Martin for organising such a terrific day, and your divine meddling with the weather exceeded all expectations - a beautiful day.....I loved it. Cheers.

PS what's the "G-ride"?
  • Great ride, classic in every sense. Thanks Martin for organising and group 2 on the road for considerate and inclusive group riding.
  • Ditto group 1. Tidy stuff in the peloton
  • Thanks Martin for another great day out. You picked a great date with weather to match unlike me with the Hardriders :anguished: (even the dog will be staying in doors today!).

Anyway 2 cafes was better than none - do you need to chop a bit off my badge?
  • Geoff great to see you
    Really sorry you couldn’t come all the way to the Egg. Yeah sounds like you made the right decision - getting home in time!
  • cheers Nat.....you vince and archie were going well......I sadly still have a way to go to get back to form......honestly, I am simply glad to be able to ride. Spring is coming and I'll be back to the miles when this bad spell lifts.