Welcome to the forum

Maglia Rosso Mille Maglia CX Sportive - Feb 18th

Maglia Rosso ran its’ Mille Maglia CX Sportive on Sunday. Several of the CCA Cross gang showed up; Dan, Nick, Will, Dave, Mark, Richard and myself. It was a cold day but bright with clear skies. Ice covered the puddles and certainly did not look inviting for a swim.

The route starts from Maglia Rosso’s bike shop and cafe (second cafe on The 3 Cafes ride) which is due south of Bury St Edmunds. From Maglia Rosso it heads north through the city and, before reaching its most northerly point, charges plumb through the King’s Forest on the Icknield Way. This is a thrilling sandly track with roller coaster furrows which simply has to be tackled with speed! The segment is a real gem, and being part of the Icknield Way we should really follow that byway all the way from Ashwell, maybe a summer club run?

After the King’s Forest the route either comes straight round to Berrer’s Heath or via a detour (for the longer route). This is another delightful sector and the heathland here is a real surprise to me as it feels almost Welsh. Due to stopping for another puncture we ended up holding open the gates for some 4by4 vehicles which turned out to be the Norfolk Mountain Rescue (or similar).

From here back to the cafe included more roads than on the way out, but I think we were all feeling tired and I suspect I was not the only one to welcome the smooth surface.

Coffees and toasted treats were enjoyed back at Maglia Rosso to crown a really splendid day out. This is a fantastic event.