Welcome to the forum

Belgium Sept 2018

Hi, we're planning another trip to Diksmuide 21st- 23rd September 2018.

The club has been here a number of the times, notably 2016 and 2009/2010/2011 and the trip's always been very popular. Diksmuide is in the heart of Flanders and offers some fantastic cycling - taking in roads from Gent Wevelgem and the 4 days of Dunkirk, plus canal paths, fast flat roads and cobbled climbs such as the Kemmelberg. We cycle past lots of first and second world war history, and there's the option for dinner in Ypres on Friday and then watch the Last Post ceremony. Particularly poignant during the 100th anniversary since the end of the First World War.

Leave Ashwell early Friday morning 21/Sept to catch the Euro tunnel, then ride Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday morning before lunch and return to Ashwell Sunday early evening. There is the option to cycle over (and/or back) subject to availability in cars coming back.

This is a sociable relaxed end-of-season trip with approx 300 km of riding over 3 days at club run pace, all welcome. There will be new sections on all the rides, including some new climbs on Saturday, but essentially the rides will be similar to previous years with the Queen stage a 100 mile route on Saturday into France with lunch on top of Mont Cassel and a coffee/beer on the way back in Bergues. Shorter routes also available. (Note this may be the last year we run this trip; future trips may try out a new base and new routes near Oudenaarde or in the Ardennes).

Approx. cost likely to be £260 per person for a single room, 2 nights bed/breakfast, dinner on the Saturday night, and all transport. Subject to numbers, exchange rate etc. and will be lower if you share. Hotel likely to be t' Wit Huis or the Pax Hotel both of which we've used before and are very welcoming and comfortable with secure bike storage.

If you're interested please sign up below. No commitment required at this stage, but will need a deposit to secure a place sometime, probably April.

Interested:
Stef
MC
Will
Andrew R
Geoff
Andy R

Comments

• Provisionally - yes to this. Such a great trip.

Logistics allowing, I'd be looking to ride over to Calais on Thurs 20th Sept from Ashwell. Then the next morning, ride through flat Flanders to Diksmuide to meet up with the others.

We've cycled over twice before and both times it's generated many tales. We've previously got a lift back in one of the cars.

During the weekend, we should stop off at the newly installed Hertfordshire Regiment memorial which is nearby, near the Canadian monument/Paschendale/Ypres.

http://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/passchendaele-centenary-hertfordshire-regiment-memorial-dedicated-on-third-battle-of-ypres-battlefield-near-st-julien-exactly-100-years-on-1-5129730
  • Registering interest here! Will check race and holiday dates :)
  • Interested.
  • Definitely up for this, loved the last two Belgian weekends.
  • edited February 2018
    + Neil R. He even promised to join the club...
  • edited February 2018
    We'll ride over if space allows. I'll attempt to make it over the Thames this time ;-)
  • Interested
  • I’m up for riding there and back - subject to 20c weather and 18mph tailwinds both ways. Only joking count me in regardless of weather
  • toying with the ferry from Hull overnight and then cycling 30 miles to Diksmuide. Jeremy and Robbie might join but that depends on fitness and work commitments for them. If needed however I could bring the bike trailer which takes 10/12 bikes. It all depends on your planning Stef. Let me know nearer the time and we can sort.
  • Interested
  • looks like 14 already Stef. Going to be a good weekend
  • Make that 15 Stef, not been on a CCA trip for a while.
  • Definitely interested. It's always a great trip.
  • Stef
    MC
    Will
    Andrew R
    Geoff
    Andy R
    Neil R
    Martin L
    Chris P
    Martin H
    Vic
    Matt S
    Steve J
    Stiggers
    Paul S
    John R
  • Will start making some provisional bookings as I have a good idea of numbers now.

Will email you all towards end of April to ask for some details and a commitment and deposit.

Think I have email addresses for most, but Stiggers and PaulS could you email me at stef@ccashwell.com when you get a chance. Thanks.
  • Damn would have loved to but I will be at a company conference in Marbella, along with all the ex pats!!
  • Good news. Confirmed at the excellent T'Wit Huis in centre of Diksmuide where we stayed 2 years ago. Photo on twitter.
  • great news Stef. Definitely making this trip. Missed too many.
  • Up for riding there again. Last time was hilarious reaching the boho Calais hotel around 1:30am.

I think the route through Kent has been enhanced?

• edited April 2018
    For those wanting to ride to Diksmuide, I'll put together a few simple logistics here from us doing it before. The basics for now:

It's a fun way to start the Belgium trip. Highlights would be the Tilbury ferry to cross the Thames estuary, being the first on/off a big ferry at Dover/Calais, a beer in Calais and the tailwind, flat 50 mile blast to Diksmuide on the Friday morning, stopping off at ancient Bergue for a mid-morning coffee.

It's a long, but doable 130 miles from Ashwell to Dover. Anyone who has done the Wells or 3 Cafes classics will be fine. Pack a light overnight bag. We will coordinate it to have your weekend kit transported. Stef and I briefly discussed the idea of a get together (one club night?) to work out cars/drivers/seats.

We'll be leaving Thursday 20th Sept, early, from Ashwell.

We’ve got decent routes mapped out, that take the more scenic and quiet Kent lanes, but is a bit Paris-Roubaix in quality and sometimes steep in parts. I've just updated them and removed the sojourn across the abandoned airfield we did last time. Sorry about that. Blame Google Maps.

Ashwell-Gravesend
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27199819

Gravesend-Dover
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27200172

Calais-Diksmuide
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27200296

I'll find out Dover-Calais ferry info and suggest we stay in the quirky Hotel Meurice in Calais again. Well priced, nicely odd 2-Star hotel.

I look forward to getting together to help arrange further logistics soon.
  • Sounds like a great trip. If there's enough room with bikes for the way back, I'd be up for riding down to Dover too.
  • any room left in the inn for me? my other trip may well be falling through so I am likely to be free for September. Would love to come along and ride down if room available and if car space on the return. Do we need to consider a trailer?
  • Taff - can you email me stef@ccashwell.com so i have your email, thanks.
    Vince - yes of course room for you.

although i am thinking we may have too many riding over and not enough drivers as we stand. anyway will email all and round up logistics when i get a chance, will also need a deposit.
    i dont think the trailer helps as the first problem is cars and spaces in cars on the way back. anyway i'll sort it out in next few weeks.
  • ok no probs. Being out with the Ashwell is the most important thing. riding out is a bonus.
    Jane's work car is the only bike transporter. mine is a small soft-top so can take 3 people but no bikes. Its a bit daft. an option might be to cycle out and back with a jiffy bag in a car. Now that is an interesting proposition.
  • my point is Jane will need her car for work. Another option is to send some out a day early to ride in Flanders for an extra day - long ride. That would interest me as much as riding over (well a good second best).
  • haha Vince....the trip is as Stef set out so let's not complicate things.
    Stef...I am happy to drive over and will have tow bar by then. I can take three or four smaller passengers at a pinch. If I take trailer and some bikes I can take up to 12 bikes in total back. If Jeremy comes with me then there are two places at least available back plus bikes so you only need cars with people. Bikes taken care of.
    Just a thought.
  • I've emailed all who expressed an interest asking for details and a deposit payable by 12th may. deposit needed to confirm place. if you didn't get an email let me know.

• Likewise, I've emailed those who have expressed interest in riding to Diksmuide on Thurs 20th Sept, the things they need to do. Ferry and Hotel.

If you didn't get an email - let me know. Thanks.
  • Hi, I might be a bit late on this, but if there is enough space ill be up for this trip and cycling there. If there is issues getting back with the amount of bikes, I am more than happy to cycle to Calais and get the train from Dover. With a National Rail Card its around £38. graham.askew@hotmail.com
    cheers
  • Graham - I've emailed you
    Stef