Welcome to the forum

Sports physio - who has last minute availabilty?

Could do with seeing one this week. To deal with specific problem on right calf but I can't imagine that would take more than 10 mins so I guess just a sports massage to fill the rest of session

Wouldn't have the first clue who to approach. Anyone recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Nat..... your body doesn't work like that. Either you know what is wrong or you need someone who can diagnose the problem. One muscle alone locked up can take 10 minutes or more to clear. Physios vary in their range as do other disciplines.
    It's rarely "just a calf" problem. If you have one that is sufficiently problematic and painful that has alerted you then I am certain there are more connected in the use sequence which are in need of attention. In fact, it is usually a problem in the longisimus (long back)causbng low back, then glutes, then IT band and finally the calf in that order.
    The external longisimus on either side if your spine has a matching pair running up the inside of the spine and it is these you help develop when you do core exercises.
    It's all about balance and not overdoing exercise or training which loads one set to the detriment of others.My guess is you have been overdoing development through reps without either proper stretching to release tensions after a strenuous set of exercise or a proper massage.
    Get someone who knows to give you an overall opinion of where the problem really lies rather than assume it's just the calf.
  • Geoff thanks but it's just a cramp and I know it's due to (a complete) lack of stretching, doing a very long walk early last week and not stretching that out either and also falling down whilst climbing calpe rock and twisting my ankle probably hasn't helped. May not have been helped by the fact there was no float in my cleat until I cleared the crap out last night.

I've never, ever had cramp here before. I only ever get thigh cramp when riding really really hard (you know, the type where you try to get out of the saddle and sharply sit back down), which is a pretty normal thing for a cyclist that's simply 'going hard'

I could probably relieve it by stretching it over the next few days, which I will anyway. But if someone can work it externally too I'd be happy with that
  • You could try Richard Lowden at the Royston Complementary Health Centre - I've not used him but he does have a regular column/advert in the local Listing so seems to know what he's doing: http://www.rchc.co.uk/sports-massage.php

Or Sally Rabbetts, who is a general physio that I have used:
    https://www.privatehealth.co.uk/doctors-and-health-professionals/physiotherapy/sally-rabbetts/contact/
  • I’ve used Richard, he’s very good.
  • Thanks all, including James - I got your DM

I’m going to stretch out over the next few hours and see how it goes at training tonight. If I get it again tonignt I will stop trainjng and have it worked on and try and work out what’s going on
  • Lad I work with does mobile massage - really good. Just had an hour off him tonight. Jon Currie - on 07391266422.
  • Thanks Mitchy. Going to be making phone calls first thing in the morning. Noting all these names an numbers down for the future anyway