Welcome to the forum

CC Ashwell Cyclocross - Womens Race

Once again CC Ashwell will be hosting a cyclocross race as part of the Eastern league. Ours will be round 5 of the 16 event season and will be held at the same venue as last year (Princess Helena School) on Sunday 7th October.

Those of you that raced last year will know that the races can become oversubscribed and this was something that particularly affected the combined Vet 50/ Women's race (meaning we had to stay up to midnight on the entry date just to get in - way too late for me!). We felt that this was discouraging new entrants and especially women racers. This year we suggested to the league organisers that we extend the day by an hour in order to schedule in an additional race solely for women and this suggestion has been accepted as a trial - ours will be the only race in the season with a separate women's race.

Clearly we would like to make a success of this and it would be better to have as many women racers as possible - so if you've half thought about it - give it a go. With this change none of the races should be quite so full. The course is not too technical in nature and the practise of getting off and carrying your bike over difficult sections is positively encouraged in cyclocross A few of us have bikes that can be loaned I'm sure and some pre-event practice laps can be arranged. You may get muddy along the way but as the event is held in a girl's boarding school Female (and indeed Male) changing and showering facilities are available.

As with all these events organising volunteers for the day is always a challenge and to that end I have set up a doodle poll as this link (hopefully). We need people to help marshall and sign on and generally need more in the morning. I hoping that parents of kids racers will be able to help. There will be free drinks and food for volunteers - more to follow on this.
https://doodle.com/poll/pexdyx5wwxhtmtie

Entries will open 3 weeks before the event and will be on British Cycling website and the full race schedule is available on the Eastern Cyclocross website. https://www.easterncross.org.uk/league18-19.htm