Welcome to the forum

Club run review - Sunday 13th July

Was it the good weather or the interest generated by the TdF? Either way, there was a whopping 22 riders in a combined club group/middle group - and 9 or so in the Nasties.

The 22 could have been 23 but Phil couldn't face going Croydon Hill way any more and quickly went walkabout to fresher fields.

After Croydon Hill the group halved into their respective Club and middle groups. So, off zoomed the middle group, only to come to a sudden stop when Geoff - ever keen to look backwards - fell, later updated to "somersaulted", into a grassy verge. John Riddett's 'hares and tortoises spring to mind' observation went past us at 16mph+ whilst an unscathed Geoff realigned his handlebars.

Back on, and an improvised journey took us into Saint Neot's and surrounding area. Fall number 2 came along thereabouts, when Max chanced his Michelin tyres against the War of the Worlds-like algae of a quick, deepish ford and came out second best. Don't worry - the mobile phone survived the soaking.

Fall 3 occurred just as we went onto the A1 for a bit of excitement, when Geoff forgot to take his feet out of the cleats on a bend - "Schoolboy errooooor!" went the cry. We turned off towards Everton, up the hill and back the Gamlingay way. Somewhere along the way, Tony must have necked his EPO - as he kindly led us back from the front, bringing us in at 18.5+mph with 50+ miles under the belt. Job done.

With Scott making an appearance, the nasties pushed it to what Lee described as the toughest run of the year - about 66 miles at 21+mph apparently. [gulp].

I didn't get the low-down from the club run. But I believe they were pushing things too in the July warmth.

Well done everyone. Next time, I think it would be good to define a middle group if possible at the start. I think the idea of three bits of paper - club, middle, fast - would be a simple idea to try?