Welcome to the forum

The Grand Tours and pro. Cycling.

I've been struggling with this for some years now. Many including me, have begun to see these as a circus. However that is so unfair given how many elite riders ride, train and behave with the certainty they are doing it clean and still genuinely love riding their bikes.
I think it has more to do with the personalities running the teams and leading the team. Many simply don't like DB or Froome. They don't like their dominance and the way it appears their noses are rubbed in it. There is an abrasive arrogance which grates and the style of riding doesn't excite. Efficient, effective,machine like, ruthless,unforgiving and cold. All these are levelled at one time or another.
Sky and DB have simply raised the bar so high in detail and planning as well as prime selection of the right riders for any event that it is now more like F1 in terms of money and technical perfection.It's not just about money but it really does make a difference.
Unless others step up their game or UCI decide that teams can only operate within a fixed budgetary band I can't see it changing.
I do so hope the TT comesgood and G finishes in Yellow. The best thing to happen in the Tour for years. A rider we can all feel has done it the right way throughout his career and a nice guy who is genuinely liked by the pro's , the media, and the fans.

Comments

• I’ve been down in the Pyrenees this week watching bits of it when I can and have seen quite a lot of booing towards the team sky cars/coaches from a lot of cycling fans down here. It’s a sad state of affairs... but then the French press are well known for being cynical of the top riders (who aren’t French).
  • Was DB right to say it's a french thing or should he have been more careful in how and what he said.
  • Probably could have been said without bringing a nationality into it I should imagine. Never a good thing to accuse an entire nation of behaving in one way.
  • Agree. Thats been the issue all along. DB has been out of step in media management in approach and presentation. It's done now and I doubt he will ever repair that. I'm guessing he is just content to be in control of the best team both riders and staff. Some achievement. Water off a ducks back.
    Simply the best outcome ever for this years race.
  • I don't know about you all, but I was welling up watching Geraint being so emotional in the post TT interviews. He's such a nice genuine guy. Chris is too but there is something about G that says , finally, a cyclist that is without any skeletons to help us believe again.
  • Please Sky, stick with G as lead for a whole season to give him that opportunity to ride on this wave crest to rebuild that belief for everyone.
  • DB was forced to apologize for the 'Its a french thing' comment but interesting to note that this anti-sky behavior apparently doesn't happen in Spain or Italy and i feel a great shame for cycling.
    Certainly comments by Bernard Hinault and La Monde is lamentable and hard to see what they add to cycling
    Agree with the comments with G, so strong and of course I believe has signed with Sky again so should get the support he deserves

• I suppose it's because The Tour was dominated by Lance for 7 years and now by Sky for 7years without a hope of anyone else let alone a French rider winning. It grates and they feel it deeply. Agree about Hinault.
  • ...dont disagree with you Geoff. Look at the road side support for Direct Energie and Romain Bardet the great french hope (22nd) but 'passionate' should not not exclusive to the home nation surely
    Cycling must move on from Lance, the salbutabal debacle should never have been public and so poorly handled which aids the haters
    Sky has always been a target for their systematic approach but love the Cavendish angle that states they got where they are because they work the hardest.
    Sour grapes i feel but still up for a good discussion over a decent bottle of red preferable not with the said grapes