Welcome to the forum

Mildenhall Senior Grass Track, Sunday August 26

This summer has been astonishing by how dry and warm it was. It was therefore ironic that the running of the only grass track race I actually managed to enter hung in the balance due to the wet conditions. It was decided to run the most important event first (and based on how many crashes there were continue with racing or a ‘fun programme’).

The first event was the 8k. This suited me as I was fresh for the race I am least bad at. Went okay actually! Dave Wells was the best placed Ashwell rider with Mitchy coming in second with Richard further back having struggled with it being the first race. Pleased to say the racing went ahead on a slightly reduced programme – it was wet, cold and slippery though.

The women’s events featured CCA’s very own Jenny Andrews. The first event was the 4k. She clearly had the plan to gain a gap on her adversaries early on and this she did with strength and skill in the wet and cold. Her gap grew and the field behind split into two groups. She seemed to sense that she could assert her authority on proceedings and as the long race progressed increased her lead so that she not only lapped the back markers but the whole race. A remarkable display of confidence and handling in the terrible conditions. Chapeau! I think she won all the events after that, but she was certainly challenged. Great racing.

A special presentation was made to Max Pendleton to recognize the work he has done for Grass Track Racing and Mildenhall in particular.