Welcome to the forum

Icknield all the Way

I had a plan to cycle from Ashwell to the King’s Wood (north of Bury St Edmunds) along the Icknield Way. Genius right? Well there were a few flaws in this otherwise brilliant plan, not least of which was how to get back. The plan was finally realised by Richard and I travelling separately in our own cars to the Mildenhall Grass Track meeting on Sunday, then returning home in one. The next day riding back to Mildenhall to collect the remaining car. Genius right?

The route we took was from Little Gransdon, which isn’t on any conventional section of the Icknield Way, so the notion of going the whole distance on the ancient route was compromised from the start. We did discover an absolute gem. Worsted Street is a Roman Road running from Trumpington to Horseheath, actually more or less parallel to the A11 (which was once the Icknield Way by the way). Anyway this track is highly recommended as it tunnels it’s way through a woods and undulates for miles; delightful and great fun. We didn’t go all the way to Horseheath but turned sharp left onto what I now realise was our first section of the Icknield Way for the day.

Quite a lot of the Icknield Way is footpath in the area where we were so our mission was further compromised. The big ticket secteur was the Kings Wood, which is not only the Icknield Way but also the St Edmund Way. A wide sand track begging to be ridden fast. Wide file tread tyres worked very well. Borrowing more from the Maglia Rosa route we returned across Shravedell Heath; challenging soft sandy terrain. I love this heathland as it feels completely remote from Suffolk or Hertfordshire.

A shortish ride from there back to Mildenhall, but by now both of us were tired and sustenance was depleted.

Great day out. I can thoroughly recommend this as being a great way to get to Mildenhall or Maglia Rosa for that matter. (3 Cafes the hard Way?)

Comments