Welcome to the forum

Wells and back, 200 miles of joy.

So for the less glamorous (and considerably more stupid) riders doing the 200 mile ride, please remember to stick some lights on, pack LOADS of food, as much as you can carry and maybe a gel or two too to keep you awake at the end of the day. Self sufficient as far as spares go, couple of inners and a pump and tool etc. Spare links too just in case. My multi tool has a chain tool on it if we end up in a fix. Might be an idea to have an extra layer than you think you need so you don’t get chilly in the headwind on the way home.

As Martin mentioned, there’s a largish chunk of riding towards Wells where there are no shops to refuel but other than that we will be stopping where necessary for coffee, food, water refills and wees.

Leaving the tuns at 6.30am, hopefully back around 9pm if we keep stopping time to a minimum. Looks like the weather will be a little more cheery than tonight! Should be 7 of us I think... Me, Hatch (from Stevenage CC), Martin H, Rob, Taff, Steve J and Dave W. Nice steady pace rolling through all the way and back.

Comments

• Good luck All. Give us a wave as we pass you coming back! :-)
  • Lovely day out, coasted up to Wells at a steady 17 point something mph under vaguely sunny overcast skies with a stop in Ely and then another midway between there and wells. Fish and chips and a quick turn around saw us leaving wells around half 1, hoping for an early return to Ashwell and a couple of pints in the tuns.

A rather startling downpour, nasty headwind and 8 punctures later we rolled into Ashwell around 9 to refuel with various alcoholic beverages and pork scratchings in the rose and crown. The tuns appeared to only be open for the staff who were happily sat around the bar having a pint and ushering us on our way...

Riding time out was 5hrs 10 mins to Wells and 5hrs 40 back with a few stops for coffee, punctures, cake, subway, milkshakes and plenty of wees.

It’s surprisingly maneagable. I’ve not really ridden properly for a couple of years, just the occasional long ride and commuting and could almost keep up with the speedy boys. Nice to know that I can still sit on a saddle for 11 hours or so without doing too much mental damage.
  • I also fell asleep on my living room floor whilst attempting to roll my legs on the foam roller when I got in...
  • Oh, and kudos for Rob for riding the F14/25 today in 68 mins. I’ve just been struggling to stay awake at work all day...