Welcome to the forum

Ashwell CX 7th Oct

edited September 2018 in Cyclocross/Offroad

Comments

• I've shared this through a couple of women's cycling Facebook groups, with some good feedback and a few people saying they're hoping to make it.
  • That’s great, thanks Jenny.
  • Entries for the CCA Cyclocross race open 7am Monday. If you're entering the V50 category, sign up quick as this race often sells out fast. On line entry is via British Cycling and will close a week before the race - though entry on the day will still be possible if there are places left.

We have had a good response to calls for volunteers but more help with marshalling would be good - the more people we get, the shorter the shifts! There's not much to it - stand on a corner, wear a reflective vest and in most cases that's it. You're there in case of accidents but most races pass without incident. Parents of the younger riders can certainly help in the morning races.

Here's the set up plan

Saturday 22nd - a few of us (you know who you are) are going to site for 4pm to commence the route plan/ start clearing the weeds. We can't get there any earlier due to the school's opening day.

Sunday 23rd - course clearing from 10am (I suggest). I personally can't get there in the morning but will be there in the afternoon. Dave H will be there both days so will be Master of the Course.

Saturday 29th - in the unlikely event we don't get everything ready on 22/23rd, I can go back to site and finish off

Saturday 6th - Stakes and hurdles will be on site by then and we will arrive around 10am to set up the course with stakes and tape, put up signage and generally make ready. All welcome to help. Anyone wishing to get in a sneaky test ride can do so later in the day.

Sunday 7th - I know a few of you are arriving for afternoon shifts but most people should arrive in time for 8/8.30. If you're on the sign on desk go there, otherwise meet at the start line (where the marquee will be). We'll assign marshalling points and issue you with radios/ jackets there.

If you can help and you've not already done so, please let me know in advance and let me know what times you can do.

Thanks to everyone who's offered to help so far. This race should attract around 350 riders over the day so it's great that the club has the resources to manage it.

If you need anymore information, please email me or post here. I am aware of something called Facebook but I do not use it!

Peter
  • Entries opened this morning and V50 men not full as of 2o/c (sold out by 8.30 last week) which is the usual fast seller. This will be due to the womens only race which is being trialled. Currently 18 entrants.
  • After 12 hours we now have 111 entrants in total - not bad at all. Still some places left in the V50's but get in quick if you're in this category.
  • As we're now a week and a bit from the race, here's a summary of volunteers and roles. If you're acting as a marshal/ judge/ sign-on, then it would be good to be on site for 8.15/ 8.30 (I know a couple of people are doing afternoon slots). We still need a volunteer to help in the car park (morning only) and generally more people to help take the pressure of others working all day.

This is the current list

Judging/ calling team
    Stef
    Mark B
    Sue C

Commentator: Tim

Sign -on:
    Stevie W
    Archie F
    Claire H (after 12)
    Maggie

First Aid:
    Claire L
    Scott (morning)
    Sallie (afternoon)

Chief Marshal: Daniel

Marshals:
    Dan H
    Iain F
    Jamie Q
    Dave H
    Mark S
    Vince
    Simon R
    Ben R
    Richard
    Mark W
    Stuart
    Jackie
    Corinne
    Robert

Sounds like a lot of marshals but we need 11 at all times - hence a few more people would take the stress out of it.

Daniel and I will be on site early on 7th based around the start area. I suggest all marshals meet Daniel at the start area for 8.30 for a briefing and others meet me also at the start line for 8.30. I suggest checking the weather forecast and dressing appropriately and warmly. If you have a reflective vest bring that too (we have a few spares if not).

On line entry is still open and there are places left if you want to race.
  • Hi Peter,

Put me down for marshalling.
  • Peter, do you need any more help with the set-up on Saturday? Gutted that we've got a clash on Sunday, but both Jenny and I are available if there's anything we can do on Saturday at any point...
  • Thanks Martin, Jenny and Dave.

I think we probably have enough people for set up on Saturday but I'll post again if not.

Martin - if you could get to the venue for around 8.15 I'll ask you to help marshal the car park just to make sure that people max out the space. The car park will be busy between 8.30 and 10.30/11 after which you'll be free/ we'll find you another job!

• Hi, looking forward to the event and to helping out. Just working out home logistics of who travels with who etc and wonder if you could confirm what time riders will have access to the course for warm up/familiarisation?
  • Hi Peter,

I have been ill this week so wanted to let you know that I won't be riding the V40 category in case you have a waiting list.

Will still be there to help out.

• The course will be open for practise from 9am to 10am on Sunday and will there will also be time for practise laps between races.
  • Hey just checking if I’m signed up for helping out all day or part of? No problems either way, just need to know
  • If you can make all day that would be great.
  • Plus if there are any other parents out there that want to help out we can always find you a job. Even a couple of hours would help to relieve the pressure.
  • Who is Ashwell_Cycling?
  • Sue Chimes.
  • Ah I see. Sue - If you could be there for 8.30 that would be great. Ideally it would be good if you could do the whole day but we can work around if not.

I'll be there from 7.30 and should be around about the start area for 8.30 - just come and find me and we can finalise details

Peter
  • Oops sorry I didn’t realise I was showing as Ashwell_Cycling. No probs I can stay all day. Sue Chimes