Welcome to the forum

Percy Stallard Vets road race Sawtry

edited July 2008 in General
The Arlesey flyer travelled up the A1 to race in the Percy stallard national vets point race at sawtry, 60 miles was the distance and a 10 am start so i had chance for a lay in bed. The last few weeks have seen 8.30 starts at Chigwell and the same at South Mimms.
Last week in the rain and wind (good old English summer)the Arlesey flyer had the misfortune of a front wheel puncture halfway round the second of five laps, so an early shower that day. Which brought the total punctures in races this year to three, not bad for my first year on the racing circuit, and good practice for changing tubes.
Well today at Sawtry was no different, i had even put on a new back tyre but to no avail, after 20 mins of the race i hear the dreaded hissing noise every racers nightmare, who's tyre this time, then a call ''number 36 you have a puncture'' came the shout, and guess who was number 36, yes the good old Arlesey flyer, puncture number 4.
So i say a few pleasantries and pull over to the side of the road where a marshall was standing, i take off the tyre put in my only spare tube and that was not going up. It must be the pump, the marshall lends me his super pump nothing, we then discover the spare tube as a split in it, brand new as well. (dodgey stock from Geoff). Well the marshall say's to me here you are mate have one of my tubes so in it goes, then to make matters worse as i click my gears down the cable breaks leaving me stuck in top gear. So i have to ride back some 10 miles to the race Hq in top gear.
So next week i'm possibly out on the club run if my shirt looks a bit bulky it's because i am carrying 6 inner tubes 3 spare cables, and the complete bike tool kit.