Welcome to the forum

Welwyn CX results

It was a tough day for me at this weeks event, I really enjoyed the course, the mud always helps with that. Luckily it wasn't the sticky stuff so no problems with the bike clogging up but I was really struggling with grip going up the hills. I tried to stick with Dave but he was just too strong plus he loves mud (in an unhealthy way plus I'm sure I saw him rolling around in a puddle after crossing the finish line), he was in sight for a few laps but constantly pulling away. The hurdles had been placed on a uphill section which was really tough and I don't think anyone in the V40 was able to get back on and ride so we had to run the up the hill before getting back on the bike. There was also a tricky off-camber section after a steep climb, I couldn't find the right line on any of my laps much to the amusement of Tim and Pete who I could hear laughing as I veered off to collect some course tape. I lost 3 places with a lap and a 1/2 to go and had to dig very deep to get these places back, at one point I was rubbing shoulder to shoulder with a Basildon rider as we both sprinted on a straight trying to get the best line into a corner, again thanks to Mark's training sessions I took one more place on the final bend when the rider in front of me went wide and I sneaked through the inside.

Its now 3:2 in the Dan v Dave challenge and off to Mistley next week.

Full Vets & senior results below:

Women:
Jackie F 5th
Stevie W 17th
Emma P 21st

V50:
Mark W 29th
Tim D 30th
Pete D 34th
Vince F 36th
Daniel D 40th
Stuart F 48th
Richard L 51st

V40
Iain F 17th
Dave H 22nd
Ben R 24th
Dan H 31st

Senior
Ed N: 59th.
Ed's very first (of many I hope) CX race & apologies for telling you that Welywn would be an easy and good place to start. I hope the "bad" conditions haven't put you off racing again. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to race on that course for an hour!

Comments

• Well done Ed very tough conditions for your first race. Sorry I didn't stay to the end but your first 3 laps looked good, staying upright & making it to the end was very good going indeed.
  • That was fun! Thanks for the encouragement and support, both on the day and on Wednesday nights.

A fairly long list of things to work on. I felt like I started in my comfort zone, played it cool for a lap or so, then chased down a few riders in front of me - which may have been a bit rash as fatigue started to kick in and the last few laps became more about getting to the end and staying upright.