Welcome to the forum

Club hill climb 2018

It's that time of year again! Some of you have eagerly been asking about the club hill climb, so I thought I'd kick things off...

Date: Sunday 18th November, 9.30am
Location: Hatch Lane, Baldock (just the one climb this year to limit the pain and keep it simple!)

If you fancy riding it, amazing! Come along and have the best fun ever. No need to book in advance, just turn up like you would for a Wednesday time trial. If you fancy helping out, even better! We could do with a couple of timekeepers and a pusher-offer, so if some of you aren't sold on the idea that riding this is actually fun then you can always come and volunteer instead.

I'll make a batch of chocolate brownies...I think we'll have earned them!

Comments

• Well done Jenny. I'll be taking part.
  • Me too - either ride or help, happy to do either.
  • Comeback race! Can I be a 2nd Claim guest?
  • Great, so we've got a couple of riders so far...could do with a couple of timekeepers if anyone fancies it?

Mitchy - definitely come and ride. Can someone who knows about such things confirm if second claim members are eligible for the club title?
  • I will be there Jenny. Thanks for organising 👍
  • happy not to be eligible, wouldn't expect to be. just enjoy riding up hills!
  • Just first claim eligible for the club title I'm afraid. Everybody can come and ride it though !
  • Happy with that!
  • Thanks Jenny for organising. I’m looking forward to struggling up the first bit, walking the bend and then back on for the flat finale.
  • Thanks everyone, looks like we've got some enthusiastic riders lined up!

With just a week to go now we do need a couple of timekeepers. This will be a short event so could tie nicely in with a usual Sunday ride - for riders and helpers.

Are any other women planning on riding? I'm very happy to be a timekeeper, but as the club has gone to the trouble of having a separate trophy for the women's club champion it's really important that someone turns up to claim it. Put your name down here or message me directly and I'll happily be timekeeper instead of riding.

How about some added interest for those that perhaps aren't pure hill climbers - special mention for the fastest rider on a mountain bike / fixed gear??
  • Hi Jenny
    sorry but we won't be able to help out as there is a cx race that day.
    Have a good ride :-)
    Jackie
  • Hi Jenny,
    Checking in for timekeeping duties, ma'am! Meet at the bottom to synchronise watches, I guess? From about 9.00 a.m.? I may not have a car, though, as mine's going to car hospital...
  • Addendum: I will now have a car...
  • CCA Club Hill Climb this Sunday!

Thanks to everyone for their offers of riding and helping, and hopefully we’ll see a few more from the 9am club run too. Details as it currently stands…

Hatch Lane in Baldock (off London Road, near the George IV pub)
    Sign on from 9am at the bottom of the climb, first rider off 9.30am. £4 each.
    Finish is in the middle of the bridge over the A505. Don’t be fooled into easing up too early if you see a car parked in a layby...keep going until you see the chequered flag!

Please be mindful of the local residents. Park away from the start line, and for safety reasons the usual rule of no U-turns in sight of the start line, and no warming up on the hill once the first rider has started.

Andy N - if you could be timekeeper at the finish area that would be great, thank you so much for your offer of help. Dave and I are going to do tag-team timekeeping at the start, and if anyone else can lend a hand holding riders at the start that would be great.

Last year’s results are here for reference - there were some good close battles! ccaforum.co.uk/discussion/6728/cc-ashwell-hill-climb-2017-sun-5-nov
  • I'm not feeling great and laying out max power onto a strip of tarmac probably isn't a great idea. So will come along to help (pushing still needed?), watch, cheer as appropriate.
  • Sorry to hear that Matt, but yes please, a pusher-offer would be very helpful!
  • Ella and me going to give it a go. Not my sort of hill climb but what the ek
  • Jenny, could we slot Ella into an early start position as she has to be home for 10.15am?
  • No problem Vincent, well save some early slots for you and Ella.
  • Cheers. I'll hang around for the whole event. Ella has to rush back with her Mum though.
    See you tomorrow.
  • Happy to be the pusherofferer.
  • If anyone fancies a few miles after the Hill Climb (10-10.15am?), I'll be doing these 20 miles looping back to Guilden. All good to head back to Ashwell or for you to carry on for a bigger ride into Huntingdonshire maybe?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28946948
  • Thanks to everyone for turning up this morning; despite the cold and foggy start we had some enthusiastic riders and helpers, and spectators that had come across specially to cheer us up the hill. Thanks Andy and Matt for braving the cold without even the thought of a ride to warm up you up!

Well done everyone - it was a close battle for the men's title, with Martin taking it by just three seconds from jointly second-placed Dave W and Vincent. Ella did a very fine ride for the junior title (in what was I think her first hill climb?), and I hang on to the women's title.

Dave Mitchinson (Contour RT) - 2:07
    Martin Lawless - 2:30
    Vincent Friedlander - 2:33
    Dave Wells - 2:33
    Tim Allen - 2:40
    Matt Scales - 2:44
    Ethan Storti (Welwyn Wheelers) - 2:48
    Jenny Andrews - 2:54
    Keith Luetchford - 3:00
    Ella Friedlander - 4:03

Next year let's aim for an earlier date (October?) before the cold weather really sets in!
  • Big thanks Jenny and all the helpers for organising this!
  • Racing through the mist, with race head on gave me an out of body experience. Then the post race hit from the chocolate brownie really topped me out. Glowing feeling. Thanks all.
    Ethan's time was something special too. Keep it up chap.
    Great to see Flamme Rouge there too and the club run support.
    Mitchy the bullet. That time was legendary. So fast he had long gone by the time my camera clicked.
  • Tim I meant to say you are definitely on the ascendancy. Great ride and great woolly hat.
    Also thanks to all the organisers. Made my day.
  • Thankyou Jenny for the event it was great. will be back next year once my lungs have repaired 😀
  • Thanks for organising Jenny. Love and hate that climb in equal measures.
  • Thanks to Jenny for organisation... and the amazing choco brownies. Thanks to Dave, Andy and Matt P for timekeeping and pushing off.

Well done all for sticking a number on and having a go. That's what it's all about.

The club-run afterwards was good too. A great morning.

There was no fog about 200 metres north of where we were freezing!
  • was bizarre, a proper microclimate to add to the torture!