Welcome to the forum

Diss CC Supercross results & report

edited November 2018 in Cyclocross/Offroad
Round 11 of the Eastern CX league had us heading over to Redgrave. The guys at Diss CC do an amazing job creating a course out of a playing field by making use of every single bump in the ground. This is one of Dave's favourite courses and before the race he is already eyeing up a top 20 finish. Thanks to PPI I have a new ride and this was the maiden voyage for the new bike, I'm hoping this is going to get me back into contention for the DJH challenge. Numbers are slightly down this week as the National Trophy event is on so a few of the big names are missing but its still a competitive field. I get a couple of warm up laps in and practice the tricky cambered climbs and descents. After a few go's I'm feeling confident and able to ride most of the course but for a set of shallow steps and a steep climb, last year I had to run the cambered sections so I'm pleased with my progress. We get gridded and I'm last to be called to row 3 so have no option but to take position bang in the middle. I know its going to be a fast start and I need to try and get a good lead over Dave from the off. The whistle goes and we are off, 57 riders flat out on grass sprinting to the first corner when all of a sudden a rider from the front row hits the deck. I'm lucky to avoid it but a rider behind me can't be paying attention and comes flying past me and then over the rider on the floor, its a soft landing for him but when it all calms down I find myself in the middle of a CCA train, Dave at the front and Ben behind me. Its not long before Ben makes his way past and disappears and I manage to get in front of Dave but I cant shake him off. Coming round for the second lap I get another rider in-between myself and Dave but as we come round for lap 3 Dave puts in a big effort and gets past me along with another rider. The pace is too quick for me to cope with and I settle into a rhythm doing my best to stop anyone else passing. I have 2 riders on back wheel but holding them off, I'm quicker through the technical sections but they keep catching me up and get past me with 2 laps to go. Again its too quick and I settle for position when I manage to find some extra energy for the final lap. I'm closing back in on the 2 that got by me but make a mistake on one of the climbs and I'm now scrambling up the hill and the opportunity has gone. Ben and Dave have had a cracking race with a 12th and 16th respectively, I've finished 23rd out of 57 so still a very good result for me. So its another point for Dave making it 5-3 in the DJH challenge. Next race for me is the club champs on the 9th. Double points on offer for this one so I need to find something extra to get back on terms. Anyone know how to fit a motor into a seat-post?

Full results below:

Women
Emma P 20th
Stevie W 22nd

Vet 50's
Vince F 18th
Mark W 22nd (he remembered the bell this week)
Tim D 23rd
Pete D 28th
Daniel D 33rd
Richard L 38th

Comments

• 5 places separate all of Vince to Tim to Peter to Me to Richard. Mark is clearly not interested in keyboards and only interested in pecussion instruments.
  • Nice report Dan! Really enjoyed this course especially considering it was more or less in a field.