Welcome to the forum

Tour of Malta 2019

Hi all

The Tour of Malta has just confirmed its stages for this year's race. This year the event is during the school Easter hols. Four stages: 11-14 April. A short TT, and three road races: two are very crit-like and the final stage is a brilliant tight little hilly road race. I advise flying out Tuesday 9th and flying back Monday 15th. 6 nights.

It's a very friendly event. Competitive: yes. But inclusive too. You might not win it, but you will certainly enjoy it. And you'll get fit for the Spring and Summer ahead. A genuine general-classification bike race is a great thing to experience. And you might just get on Maltese telly. That's my goal anyway. Malta is a tiny, busy island. Beautiful in many ways. And the people there love the British. A rare thing for a foreign place, in my experience! And they have three-way plug sockets. It doesn't get any better than that.

Me, Jenny, Dave and Mitchy (riding for Contour) are signed-up. Between us, we've got all the insights and tips for booking the trip and so on. Just let us know if you fancy it and we will gladly give you further details.

There are 4 categories:
- Men's Seniors/Elite
- Men's Masters (40+)
- Ladies
- Juniors

I've no info on the Juniors race. But they appear to be cycling the same distance as the Masters and Ladies, so it's probably an under-16 thing. Not sure. I can find out if need be.

The website gives a bit more info. But best is to get in touch with us who have been before.
http://www.tourtamalta.com/

Here's a nice write-up from one of Nat's friends who did really well in the Elite GC:
https://www.cyclingcopley.co.uk/single-post/2018/04/09/Tour-da-Malta

Maybe you're curious but unsure of your form? Well, there are plenty of weekend winter crits on right now at Lee Valley, Hog Hill and Hillingdon. Perfect to put yourself to the test. Also, the Welwyn Wednesday evening road-bike racing training sessions are back on now til Easter. 7-9pm. £7. They're great workouts. Inclusive too.

Go for it!

Comments

• Highly, highly recommend!!! Hoping with being a month later this year the sun will be shining! Ellie is now coming as official cheerleader and photographer