Welcome to the forum

***CCA PRIMAVERAS APRIL 22nd 2019***

edited February 2019 in General
Hello all!

It’s that time of year again, the primavera is coming up in a couple of months and we need your help! For those of you interested in helping or just coming to watch we’ll be running 2 races this year, exciting times for CCA!

The support race will be a men’s regional B (3/4 and an ERRL event) and run out at around 45 miles starting at 9am, the 2nd race will be the main event. A slightly longer women’s regional A on the same circuit kicking off at 12.30pm.

This year we’ll be based at Great Chishill village hall and using the Elmdon circuit. As usual, we’ll be needing volunteers to help with kitchen duties, putting the signs up, signing on and a few drivers and first aiders to help out. I’ll put up a list of roles to fill nearer the time, but for now, if you’re free and able to help out then mark the date in your diary and leave a note on the thread. Even if you can only make the morning or afternoon, your help is always appreciated.

The club is always hugely grateful for this and over the years the riders have always commented on how friendly and welcoming the atmosphere is at our race. I know it’s a little way off and people don’t know their plans and I also know it’s a bank holiday Monday, but if you do think you’ll be free and willing to help then let me know! It’ll stop me making “that trip” to the barber’s quite so soon... maybe.

Alternatively, if you’re thinking of racing, this is a great one to start with. The entry level road race for men is a good starting point and the women’s race will have a pretty varied field so will be interesting to ride. Sign up and get out on the course in Ashwell blue! We’ve had one CC Ashwell winner (Tom Trimble, a couple of years back), is it time for another?

Huge thanks,

Will

Comments

• It's not a bank holiday on my calendar, it is the week before and week after. Happy to help though on either date.
  • Sorry Dave, my boo boo with the date! Wrote it in the middle of a show last night, brain half off. Have corrected it!
  • Great news on adding the women’s race. Well done.
    Available for both races.. presuming you want me as an accredited marshal for both.
  • Yes please Stef! Do you want to be chief marshal? I think you get a crown and some sort of orb and sceptre.
  • And a bigger bit of cake presumably... sure sign me up.
  • I’ll do most things for cake
  • Sign me up
  • Will, Stef, I'll be there as AM for both races also.
  • Great stuff, thanks chaps!
  • edited April 2019
    With the races being relocated to a different circuit, we will only be needing accredited marshals, so the regular red flag volunteers have been let off the hook. Although we still need people to help with the driving and various other things.

Currently I'm trying to get a couple of local Saffron Walden companies to take an interest in sponsoring/providing fancy coffee the races. If anybody has any suggestions for people to contact, please let me know!

Driver for chief comm:
    Richard M
    Driver for assist comm:
    Phil K
    Lead car 1:
    Andrew R
    Lead car 2:
    Dave H
    Service car:
    Dave W and Shelton P (Currently only for the women’s race)

First aid driver:
    Adam S
    First Aid:
    Lil S

Chief Judge:
    Ian Doe
    Assistant Judge:
    Josh M

Licences/Signing on:
    Will S
    Licences/Signing on:
    Emma P
    Licenses/Signing on:
    Carmelo L

1 Signs:
    Phil K
    2 Signs:
    Daniel D
    3 Signs:
    Stef D
    4 Signs:
    Richard L

1 Sandwich making/setting up hall:
    Will S
    2 Sandwich making/setting up hall:
    Emma P
    3 Sandwich Making/setting up hall:
    Shelton P
    4 Sandwich Making/setting up hall:
    Dan H
  • Emma and myself are happy to marshal for the Mens race, as Harley intends to race in the Womens. Please note neither of us are accredited. Shelton
  • Sorry did not read the thread, though happy to help if needed.
  • Will,
    Sorry about the silence - I'm planning on riding the men's race (obvs), but provided I'm still physically able, happy to do whatever you think I'd be logistically able to do for the Women's race- I enjoyed doing Lead car 2 last year, but I'd be a bit worried about mental capacity/safety after racing? Happy with whatever you think sensible, though.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
  • Happy to drive for both races if needed
  • Thanks Andrew! We’re going to need a judge and assistant judge this year as Mark can’t make the race day. He’s happy to help people with what they'll need to do at some time before the day. A few slow-mo recordings on iPads/iPhones from different angles will help.
  • Hi Gents, looking to do the rr. Is there a map file or strava link for the course? Is it lumpy/rolling or flat course?

Thanks Damon
  • Hi Damon, it’s a short 8 mile circuit with a hill that doesn't seem like much but after a few laps at pace will probably be a bit grim. Seeing as it's such a short race hopefully it will be fast and furious (and safe).

It's Elmdon - Crawley End - Chrishall - main road through Wendon Lofts then back up to Elmdon. The finish line is on the road back up to Elmdon from the main road. All left turns, all accredited marshals so fast and safe.
  • Although if we don't get around 12-15 people to help out it won't be happening! Please sign up if you're free and willing. Let me know ASAP
  • Hello all,

We’ll be needing more than the 5 volunteers currently on the list for this race to go ahead. With sponsorship from Bicicletta Velo and Trisports and BC supporting the race, the motorbike marshals I’ve already booked and the accredited marshals that I’ve sourced for the circuit it would be a shame to have to pull it at the last hurdle because we couldn’t provide drivers for the safety of the riders or anybody to help sign them on.

As ever, it’s only a few weeks away. I know it’s on a bank holiday Monday (this was the only day that the ERRL and BC would allow us to have these races early season) so not ideal for some, but every hand is appreciated. It would be a bit embarrassing to get kicked out of the ERRL and get a telling off from BC for pulling our races. Especially as we’re about to splash a flyer all over social media to promote the women’s race...

Please, if you are available and find yourself vaguely interested in racing or wanting to give something back to the club please come and help out! We need you for this day!

Thanks,

Will
  • i can help out for both races
  • edited March 2019
    Cheers Phil, that’s great. Fancy coming along early and sticking some signs up and maybe doing a little driving?

I’ve added a little description of the job duties up on the list to help people decide what they’d like to do to help out.

Thanks!
  • Hello all, still a few people short for the race and it’s getting a bit closer...

Every helping hand is greatly appreciated. Entry deadline is this Sunday so I will be sitting down and doing the admin on Monday, expect another post then!

Huge thanks to all the regulars who are helping out. It’s great to give something back to the club once in a while and all they people helping out give more than their fair share of help for various club events throughout the year. It would be great to see some new faces!

Thanks,

Will
  • I can help out Will, I have a car so can drive or anything that needs doing.
  • Thanks Dave, I’ll stick you down!
  • Will be sifting through the race entries tomorrow, we will have a full field for sure in the men’s race and 36 in the women’s race. The entry closes at midnight tonight but I will be taking entry on the line on the day, so keep the word spreading for the women’s race!
  • edited April 2019
    IMPORTANT info:

I’ve assigned people to some roles for the race, if you have any problems with doing these roles, drop me a PM and I’ll see what I can do. WE STILL NEED MORE VOLUNTEERS TO HELP

For those who are putting up signs, please meet at the HQ at 7am. Sorry for the early start! Phil, Stef, Richard and Daniel you all need to be back by 8.15 for the marshals meeting so if you could get the signs up early that would be great. The race will not be allowed to start till all the signs are up.

ALL DRIVERS please private message me the following details ASAP:
    Date of Birth
    BC Membership number
    Car registration number
    Vehicle make and model

All drivers will need to be there at 8am to fit the beacons and sort out the radios before the convoy briefing at 8.15.

The races are being sponsored by Bicicletta Velo in Saffron Walden and Trisports in Letchworth. Bicicletta will also be providing FREE COFFEE all day to the volunteers and racers.

The sandwich making will commence after the first race starts. I’ll pick up a load of rolls and bits and bobs and it then spend a couple of hours in the kitchen making them up with a couple of volunteers, these only need to be ready after the first race.

Now the most important bit:

WE NEED CAKE so any Easter Monday themed cakes will be most gratefully received and fed to hungry cyclists on the day. As we have two races we need EVEN MORE CAKE than usual pretty please.
  • We need two judges who will be happy to stand on the finish line and record the order in which the riders come over the line. They will need to keep track of things for the prime laps, so we know who to give the prizes too and also take the numbers of the riders down as fast as the can over a dictaphone/phone voice memo app so that we can get the order right at the end. If they know how to operate an iPad this would be great, the assistant judge will need to record the finish on an iPad using the slow motion camera so we can work out who came where.

This is important not only for the primes but also for the finishers in the Women’s race. We are giving out prizes for the first 3rd cat and the first 4th cat over the line as well as the cash prizes for the top 10.

Mark Wyer is happy to talk whoever decides to volunteer for this through the role as he’s been doing it for the club for years.
  • The Judging role has been filled (by a non-CCA member), I still need an assistant (preferably one who owns an iPad they can record the laps over the line with. It’s a short circuit this year, so there will be 10 laps in each race, not like last years behemoth 13 mile loop...

Still no offers for cake?
  • Richard M, Phil K, Dave H, Andrew R, Dave W, Shelton P, Emma P, Adam S, Lil S, Daniel D, Stef D and Richard L.

That’s 12 members in a club of 150 that are volunteering to help out. The other regular members who help have sent me their apologies for not being able to make it this year. I understand that the race is on a bank holiday Monday and people have other commitments but it was the same last year... and the year before... and the year before...

There are a core bunch of people in this club who keep things running as smoothly as possible and they’re always the people that help at the events, sit on the committee, do the paperwork that allows the club members to take part in the races and time trials in the region and beyond. The coaches, people who help out with the youth events, maintain the grass track etc. It’s a little embarrassing for me when we have so many people as members in our club that I have to ask non-members for their help so the event can be put on.

Why not try doing something new for the club if you haven’t ever offered to help at an event? Come and see how much of a friendly atmosphere it is at the race, you never know, it might inspire you to start racing yourself or become a more active member in the club. Help out at the TTs, go and marshal on the corner, see what goes in to running them, if you have the time why not? I know other clubs in the area who stipulate that to be a member you have to help marshal at at least one event that they put on a year. If you don’t shift your weight, you get asked to leave. In some clubs you’ll be asked to leave in fewer, slightly more choice words than others...

These two races look like they’re going to be fantastic, the men’s race has a full field and the women’s race has a start sheet of 38, I’ve already had at least 6 emails from other women racers saying they will come to sign on on the day so it promises to be a big field in the women’s race too. Let’s make the atmosphere buzz a little, we’ve got a great village hall, free coffee all day, brilliant prizes and two races on a short, fast circuit with a nice little uphill sprint to end the race with. What’s not to like?

If you can’t make the day, please help by baking a cake! I’m sure it can find it’s way to the HQ, everybody knows that a bike race isn’t a bike race without cake... currently I have one member of BRCC offering to bring a cake along (and also help in the HQ where he can).

Come on CCA, I’m getting bored of nagging (and I really shouldn’t have to nag in the first place)!
  • Well said Will. Please consider helping out on the 22nd April, the club really needs your help.

The Primavera is always special, and will be especially so this year with the addition of the women’s race. It’s fantastic that a few people have made this happen to promote women’s cycling in the region and at CCA. It’s a great circuit too. So why not help out for either of the races, or even better both, or by baking a cake.
    Will - I’ll bring a couple of cakes.