Welcome to the forum

CCA Spring Classic - G-Ride Sunday 19th May

Spring Classic G-Ride 2019 Sunday 19th May

A bit later than previous versions due to various clashes but it will mean probably mean more dust than mud.

9am from the Three Tuns.

Think of it as our version of the Strade Bianchi on the surfaced (rough and potholed but surfaced) and unmade lanes of Hertfordshire. 80-90 miles with 20 miles of unmade roads. This year's version will be anti-clockwise and will include some new sections in South Cambridgeshire. I've removed some of the rougher, more eroded tracks so things will be smoother and should flow a bit quicker.

The only rule is your bike must have road/touring tyres, no cyclo-cross tyres. Otherwise I recommend you leave your best carbon bike at home.

Book out the whole day it's not a ride to rush.

A badge for every finisher - please Martin!

Comments

• This year's route will be about 145km. A bit longer than last year but I reckon the route is a bit smoother and faster. Anti-clockwise this year starting with the Greenway and with sections in South Cambs to finish. Lunch stop at Puckeridge - I need numbers for this so let me know if you are coming. Possible afternoon tea stop at Melbourn or Wimpole.

The Hare Street Cafe has reopened as the Sunflower tea Rooms with new owners and new kitchens meaning faster service, so is a fall back option for lunch.

This year's sections.

1. ** Ashwell Street 0.6 km
    2. * Greenway (Norton Bury Lane) 1.5 km
    3. * Greenway (Baldock) 3 km
    4. ** Greenway (Willian) 2.5 km
    5. *** Tranchee de Ardeley 2 km
    6. * Beggarmans Lane 1 km
    7. *** Whitehill 1.1 km
    8. * Lowgate Lane 0.9 km
    9. * Youngsbury 2 km
    10. * Cold Christmas 1.2 km
    11. ** Bakers End 2 km
    12. * Latchford 0.8 km
    13. *** Dassells Berg 1.1 km
    14. ** Beauchamps 3 km
    15. ** Chrishall Common 1.6 km
    16. * Park Wood 1.1 km
    17. * Wimpole Way 1 km
    18. *** Church Lane 5.5 km
    19. * St Johns Church 2.5 km
    20. ** Cockayne Hatley 2.7 km
    21. ** Dunton Descent 3 km
    22. ** Ashwell Street 0.4 km

• Mark - I'll be there and will hopefully drag at least one other SNCC member along too

cheers

Simon
  • So far:
    Mark and Stevie
    Simon R + 1
    Richard L
    Daniel D
    Dave H
    Tim D
  • Now
    Mark and Stevie
    Simon R + 1
    Richard L
    Daniel D
    Dave H
    Tim D
    Thomas A
    Archie B
  • Add me too on my gravel bike with 38mm tyres
  • "The only rule is your bike must have road/touring tyres, no cyclo-cross tyres. Otherwise I recommend you leave your best carbon bike at home."

Haha Mark and Alistair. Good luck trying to get this past Mr Wyer. I reckon he's in the pay of an inner tube supplier.
  • Has anyone got a set of 700 x 28/30 road tyres they could loan me for this ride.
    I would have done it on my mtb which has got some skinny slicks on it a the moment, but was told it's not G-Ride etiquette !
  • 700/28 £2.99 at planet X at the mo*

planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYKENKWST/kenda-k-west-700c-wired-tyre

*no idea of quality!
  • Good spot Simon have just ordered mine in bling red!
  • Mark and Stevie
    Simon R + 1
    Richard L
    Daniel D
    Dave H
    Tim D
    Thomas A
    Archie B
    MC
    Pete D
    Alistair MC
    Paul S
  • Mark and Stevie
    Simon R + 1
    Richard L
    Daniel D
    Dave H
    Tim D
    Thomas A
    Archie B
    MC
    Pete D
    Alistair MC
    James D

Lunch booked for Something Lovely Tearooms in Puckeridge.

If anyone wants the file for the 88 mile route then I'll email it to them. It would be useful if someone else can lead as well.

Anyone with illegal tyres has to sit on the front for the whole ride!

See you 9am Sunday outside the Tuns.
  • Hoping to join you on this ride. I’d like a copy of the route please.
  • Mark,

Please email me the route gpx file.
    I'm not a 100% yet. Too many kid things to coord at the moment. But might get a pass.
    This uncertainty is why I might not have compliant tyres. Just the right sort for an on/off ride.......

• haha...get em in early....think you'll still be on the front Vincent :-)
  • Steve, sorry only just picked this up. Can you message me your email address.
  • Hi @mwyer, any chance you could email me a copy of the route please? Hoping to make this in the morning. W
  • That's the plan Geoff.
    Mark, Mc sent me the file. Will email it to Will now.
  • Vincent, it was me that sent you the file!! I've sent it to Will as well.
  • Sorry to hold you up with the punctures, decided that 3 in 2 hours was enough and headed home. Popped out on the road bike to make the miles up but it wasn’t as much fun! Hope you lot all had a good ride... W
  • Thanks for organising a great day out Mark
  • It was a good day and some great gravel riding. I think nearly everyone punctured, bar a few people.

That last segment towards the end which was very long was great fun with us racing each other.
  • edited May 2019
    Thomas had a great day he tells me. Even managed a few wheelies. Think he’ll sleep well tonight. 85.8miles on his Strava
    Thank you everyone
  • Thanks Mark another great ride. Thanks to Daniel & Mark for dragging me back to the group each time I fell behind. For the next ride I might push the boat out and spend a fiver on tyres this time...
  • Were you running your tyres tubeless Will?

I might be slightly sunburnt.

My legs are sore and I am very tired.

A great day. Thanks to all, especially Mark. Great to meet some more St Neots riders.
  • Archie had a great time - thank you everyone!!
  • Great ride and company. Archie and Tom were amazing.
    That was a tough day out.
    Sorry we left the main group to savour the last twin punctures without us at Hately. We waited some time but then Mc got a call from the high table and started to bang on and on about his lamb shank being served at 6.15pm on the dot. It was all we could do to pace him back in time.
    My delusions about arm chairs and beer mid ride turned into blissful reality when I got home. And the door lock had already been fixed by Jane. Result (I think. Or do I pay for it later?).

Claim to fame today:
    Beat Adam Lightfoot on a few strava segments. And Komd somewhere on that mad race segment out of Croydon. Was so close to coming off on one of the corners.
    Mark W launched the attacking moves. Thought he was with us but it was the two Mtbers and third cat Alistair that made the rest of the burn up give me stitches.
    Lots of fun and really pleased I made it to the end. Due to puncture support I missed out a couple of segments towards Puckeridge but would do it again to get those looks of desire from Daniel and Mc whilst eating my full English which duely arrived first. Never felt so desireable in all my life.
    Thanks all for a thoroughly entertaining and engaging day.
    A woppa.
  • I got a KOM too, though a joint KOM with an old club mate in London Phoenix though I can't figure it out where it is I assume it was where we tore it up at the end on the gravel.
  • They probably got it doing the tour I feel the cornfields.
  • If I’d had one more puncture I would have been running tubeless.

Sounds like I missed out on a good one! I rode out to the back side of the route around Elmdon to see if I could manage to bump into you all again, but missed you.
  • thanks to all for a good day out; I'm sure when everything stops hurting I'll have enjoyed it!

cheers