Welcome to the forum

CCA Youth go to Biggleswade Grass Track Meeting

edited July 2008 in Road Racing
REPORT FROM JOSH MAYNARD

Last Sunday, Rebecca, Daniel & I all went to Fairfield’s in Biggleswade to compete in our first ever track, (let alone grass track) event.
Spirits were high within Team Maynard and with mum cheering us on we commenced the 1 lap TT with the rest of the CCA Youth riders who had come along (Joe Page, Ollie England & Tom McQuillan)
I was number 26 and as the order was counting up from 20, I was 6th to go. Obviously I knew the principle of a TT but as I was being held at the start I still couldn’t help feeling a bit nervous. Earlier is had been raining so the grass was still slick with moisture and as I looked forward I couldn’t help but notice the tyre I was riding looked distinctly like a concrete track tyre.But I had no time to think about it as I was pushed onto the skating rink that was the 1st corner. For me it was over in a blink of an eye. Watching from the sideline I was told by my teammates that it was considerably longer. In the end I won this event in my age group.

In the 2nd race (fortunately for me) the officials had got my handicap wrong. But I wasn’t one to complain as with a different set of tyres (thanks Max) I stood tall and proud with the U8’s ready to go off about a lap ahead of all the U14 & U16’s & as it was only a 2 lap race they ”unfortunately” couldn’t catch me up.
Next was the 800m scratch race in which after starting too fast I cam 2nd overall to an U16 from Fenland Clarion.

After this was an event not on the programme, the Junior Team Pursuit.
So after a lot of slow motion helmet slapping, high fiving and huddling Team Ashwell were ready to take on the best from Team Welwyn and Team “Composite”. Joe completely hammered himself on the 1st lap as we had four riders and the time was being taken on the 3rd rider in. Next was the Tom’s lap and after him a blazing lap from Ollie. This left it up to me to drag the others home over the 2 laps left. I would like to say it was close, hard fought, nail bitingly close race but as we crossed the line together Team Ashwell was well ahead of the others.

As I mentioned earlier my siblings were present and they did extremely well with Rebecca picking up three 2nds and Daniel snapping up two 1sts.

There are so many people that I would like to thank for different things at this event but special thanks must go to Geoff Godschalk without whom none of the CCA Youth could have raced firstly because he brought the bikes in his trailer and secondly without the amazing training sessions on Thursday nights none of us would have had any idea of what to do on the track at all.

PS: You can see the official results at:
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/eve/eventspast.asp?evt_cp=1&evt_mode=2&evt_id=%7B41F12ED9-3928-4101-B6DA-A518A84D138A%7D&evt_seriesid=&evt_myevents=No&RefID=&RefType=&evt_year=2008&evt_month=Any&evt_kw=&evt_regions=All+Regions&evt_disc=Track+Racing&evt_class=&evt_cat=&evt_series=&evt_resultspp=40