Welcome to the forum

Chaingang, Tues 30 April 2019, 7.30pm

I can't make this week's chaingang: but I know a good few people are - so I hope you all have a good workout. The forecast is very good. There is plenty of light for 2 laps. But take lights anyway.

7.30pm - Depart Ashwell, Three Tuns at easy pace.
7.35pm - Meet up with those waiting at Steeple Morden pub/church and begin the chaingang loop.

Each lap is 9 miles.

If there's enough for two groups, send the faster group off first, so dropouts can latch on to the group behind.

Feeling the burn? Before you blow up, sit out your place in the chain and simply hang on at the back saying 'Last!' so the gang knows to miss you out. Enjoy the free speed from the group draft effect and rejoin the chain with clear communication once/if you have your breath back.

Aim for smoothness: the fast line is only fractionally faster than the resting line, don't spring out of corners, don't overlap wheels, be super alert at all times and call out every hazard and manoeuvre.

Everyone welcome: CCA members or not.

Why chaingang?
- Brilliant way to develop your cycling fitness.
- Great way to hone your group riding skills and confidence.
- Perfect introduction to road racing and development of your road racing skills.
- Great way to keep your legs tuned after Monday's grass track session, and to prime them for the next day's Club 10TT ;-)
- A nice way to meet riders you might not ordinarily ride with.

Comments

• P.S. If anyone 40+ fancies putting their skills to the test, a few of us are headed to the Master's race on the road circuit at Lee Valley on Wednesday. 7pm. I can drive one person and their bike back - just about fitting in. 1hr. EOL available. It's part of the Summer Series there - and happening regularly in alternate weeks to a 4th Cat-only race.
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/201741/Full-Gas-2019-Summer-Circuit-Series-01
  • Will be out
    Will be out round the track earlier too like 6.00pm going usual chainy direction.
  • Will be out. Prob pick up same place as last week between littlington and Steeple.
  • Hope to be there tonight.
  • Should be out tonight.
    Martin I recon this is for me rather than masters race tomorrow but need to give racing a go very soon. Good luck tomorrow.
  • Chain gang is keeping it together at the moment. So we work to at least 20mph but then to the slowest rider for a couple more weeks. Then aim will be to get two groups out.
    Last week average was 22 mph and stayed together. Without Martin keeping tabs on everyone (including me), I will keep it together so don't be offended if asked to f.lipping.... slow down a bit
    This gives everyone a chance to learn tight group riding.
  • edited April 2019
    Anyone else meeting at the tuns? If not I will just roll by at 7:30
  • So it turns out it is my wedding anniversary today. Oops. Interestingly, the suggestion of a drink outside The Crown with a glass of wine watching us go past a couple of times did not do much to rectify the situation. Hope all had fun. Next week.....
  • Great chaingang. It was a crack corp of juniors, seniors and elder statesmen, and Carmelo.
    Seriously really good ride.
    Sorry for dropping three towards end of first lap. Regrouped but with only one of the three and did a second lap. 23.4mph average. Quite a nice pace.
    We really need to try to stick together.
    If it feels too fast it is too fast and you will be found out on the hills so stay at the back and suck the wheels for a mile or so before the rises. You will be able to stay on that way.
    At this point I should say

Thanks for the tow.
  • Vince, I was towing your tow!

Also, Strava says 2nd lap was 39kph (just over 24)
  • Now it's over I guess I'm glad Jason persuaded me to come tonight as it was quite tasty at times...24.6 mph 2nd lap..
    I hear you Vince and actually we should all be able to stay together and at the same time still achieve a high average speed ...
    Some of us could come through slightly smoother and slower..when we blast through or attack climbs and corners it is obvious that this will create gaps which disrupts the flow often leaving someone having to close the gap and then be expected to come through as well..
    We could practise keeping the power on more evenly all the way round and being a tighter, closer and smoother unit....anyway well done and thanks all!..Happy Anniversary Matt!