Welcome to the forum

Inter Club 15 Report - Fantastic Series Start for CCA; Still Much Work Ahead

edited June 2019 in Time Trial
I am delighted to report on a terrific start for CCA to the Inter Club Series 2019.

The well organised Bedford Road event took place this morning (Sunday 2nd June) on the 1Y/15 starting by the Cardington Airship hangers heading South (definitely South: thank you Mr. Smith :-)) on the A600 up the tricky incline onto the Greensand Ridge to a series of roundabouts around Chicksands and Shefford and back. The weather was already warm by the start time of 08:01 when Mr. Luggeri gamely set off after a late night. The contestants were helped home by a breeze, but it was against them for the climb.

Standing to cheer CCA entrants off the line and encouraging them home in the last few hundred metres, I was terrifically impressed by the effort and determination all showed to squeeze out those last few seconds. And it showed in the results! CCA placed first in both the Mens' and Womens' fields with Mr. Potter and Ms. Koppe respectively (Ms. Koppe herself having gotten to bed at 1.00 a.m. Good effort!) And the impressive results didn't end there.
1M. C. Potter 32.41
1F. E. Koppe 41.12
5M. J. Stuart 34.19
6M. B. Ronayne 34.23
7M. A. Richards 34.42
9M. W. Smith 35.09
12M. M. Lawless 36.12
14M. G. Askew 37.00
21M. C. Luggeri 39.51
Full results can be seen here

We assume that CCA will now lead the Inter Club Series. Club standings to follow asap.

As I watched the race, there were a couple of cameos I noticed, which I'll share here. A couple from Icknield RC with a smiling bouncing babe of about 6 months took part, she started early - and placed second lady, no less - so she could share childcare with her partner who started late after his partner had ridden. Aw!

And Simon Norman of Bedford Road CC rode the course chaperoning his Junior-age son. The significance of this last point? Not all of Bedford Road's fastest riders were riding today (Mr. Norman senior did a 52.49 at the CCA-organised Inter Club 25 in 2018, beating the field by over 4 minutes). So we mustn't rest on our laurels, but redouble our efforts a push home any advantage.

We have a great mix of abilities this year, blending new talent to the Club such as Mr. Young and Mr. McLeish with established performers such as Mr. Potter, Mr. Ronayne and Mr. Smith. We've got the momentum now, so let's keep this thing rolling! And there was a great buzz around the Inter Club CCA group today: think Solheim/Ryder Cup or Davis/Fed Cup. There's a WhatsApp group we've set up to assist with organisation and to encourage each other. For example, Mr. Askew did a recce of the course and shared pics and a report of potholes on the route, interspersed with general banter to gee each other up etc. If you'd like to be part of it - and why wouldn't you? - drop me a line and I'll add you to the group. COME ON CCA! :-)

And look out for my post for the next Inter Club event, the 30 miler (IC30) organised by Hitchin Nomads on Sunday 23rd June 2019.

Comments