Welcome to the forum

Chaingang - Tues 4 June 2019, 7.30pm

Heavy rain is due before this evening that will then clear. Otherwise it's warmish and not too windy. So, hopefully we'll get a good go at 3 laps this evening. See you later all.

--

CC Ashwell chaingang...

7.30pm - Depart Ashwell, Three Tuns at easy pace.
7.35pm - Meet up with those waiting at Steeple Morden pub/church and begin the chaingang loop.

Each lap is 9 miles.

If there are enough for two groups, send the faster group off first, so dropouts can latch on to the group behind.

Feeling the burn? Before you blow up, sit out your place in the chain and simply hang on at the back saying 'Last!' so the gang knows to miss you out. Enjoy the free speed from the group draft effect and rejoin the chain with clear communication once/if you have your breath back.

Aim for smoothness: the fast line is only fractionally faster (1mph) than the resting line, don't spring out of corners, don't overlap wheels, be super alert at all times and call out every hazard and manoeuvre.

Everyone welcome: CCA members or not.

The lap:
https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/996158/

Why chaingang?
- Brilliant way to develop your cycling fitness.
- Great way to hone your group riding skills and confidence.
- Perfect introduction to road racing and development of your road racing skills.
- Great way to keep your legs tuned after Monday's grass track session, and to prime them for the next day's Club 10TT ;-)
- A nice way to meet riders you might not ordinarily ride with.

Comments

• Adam L planning on being there. Rain passed through & roads drying.
  • Really enjoyed that! Much more tidy than last time, still could do with a bit of awareness on the hill on the first two laps, to keep things together better and stop blowing people out the back, it’s not a race!

Clocked something like 23.2mph for first lap then 24 for the last two. Glad I did it on my nice bike this time!

Cheers to Nat for lending me a pump for my ride home! Def would have punctured if I didn’t have one in my pocket...
  • 9 out. Me. Will. Adam. Jason. Carmelo. Sophie. Nat. Al R. James D.

Good to see Al after his crash a few months ago. He was flying again, obvs, and building his confidence back up which will take a little time for sure.

Nice to see a few I'd not caught up with in a while actually. I asked Sophie whether she'd seen herself on TV on the Tour Series. She wasn't aware it was even on!

Sophie hit the big hole when approaching Bassingbourn and her rear light bounced off her bike. It wasn't there on the next lap. Maybe someone out there found it?

It felt hard in places. It was a warm, dry evening with a southerly. I wonder if that wind direction doesn't give enough of a breather in the lap? Smooth action in the group, though you didn't want Adam's super strong wheel to follow. Carmelo took one for the team there a fair bit to keep it going well.

More chaingangs to come throughout the summer sunshine, every Tuesday evening.