Welcome to the forum

26th June - "Heads-up" for possible "Pop-up" Evening Club 10 TT, roadworks depending; A plan...

The hole caused by the burst water main on the B1042 Lower Road is under repair and my "spy" tells me that what remains is a hole "the size of a laptop"! So traffic is passing at the junction but only on a three-way traffic light. The Cambridge Council website says that the works will be finished on Wednesday, so there is a chance that we can get a race in. So here's my plan.

My "spy" will report on progress at the "hole" tomorrow evening and if it's finished, we'll say "go" then. If not, I'll drive out at lunchtime from Royston to check it out and post up "go" or "no-go". So if you're interested in riding, please post here or if you're in the Inter Club Whats App group let me know. Or PM me or text me. Obviously, you'll need to prepare yourself on Wednesday as if we're on and I'll let you know as soon as I can one way or the other.

I'm offering all this because it looks like the authorities will be doing some top dressing/chippings next week along the stretch from the Wimpole roundabout over and past where the hole is located for about a mile in total and we may need to let things settle for a week afterwards. So this may be your last fix on our TT course for another week or so.

In view of the uncertainty, I don't want to commit helpers for this Wednesday, so we're going to do this one on a shoestring. In addition to myself I will need one more please if one of the riders pushes off, two if possible so we have a pusher. Our risk assessment requires one marshall at the Toll Bar turn and obviously we'll need a timekeeper. Without at least one more, again, we can't go. Please post here and/or do the doodle poll to offer assistance. Mr. Ayers, are you free, sir?

Comments

• I'm really up for riding, after Sunday I'm buzzing and want to smash my PB on this TT course
  • edited June 2019
    I can come over.
    Not sure if Thomas will ride as he's recovering from Gritfest and has 2 slightly buckled wheels not to mention its still covered in dust and sporting 40mm gravel tyres !
  • He’ll be fine! 😊 Thanks. That’s one piece of our jigsaw in place. Could do with one more helper if possible? Thanks.
  • OK. Mr. Askew has kindly checked out the roadworks for us today (Tuesday) and there are still traffic lights, but there may not be more for the works to do. The website is still showing the works finishing tomorrow. So Mr. Askew has kindly agreed to swing by there at about 3.00 p.m. and if it's clear, we'll do it!

However, we do need a RACE. It's not fair on the other handicappers if it's just Mr. Askew going round. So please post if you're interested in riding. We had 4 out on a windy/rainy night this year. So let's say we need 4 riders to post here minimum to run the event. Please post here.

This may be your last opportunity for a fast time THIS YEAR as they'll be chipping/top dressing next week (for the handicap comp it's all relative so it doesn't matter whether it's fast or slow, so long as everybody is on the same course).

Let me know, yes? Thanks.
  • Planning to be out Andy,
  • Like Alistair I'm totally up for this after Sunday!
  • Three. Need one more! Send for Bertie!
  • OK, Bertie’s in, we have a helper and 4 riders minimum. If Mr. Askew reports that there are no traffic lights when he passes on his way back from work, we’re on. Prepare your kit as if we’re on and we’ll let you know ASAP tomorrow afternoon.
    Cheers.
  • I intend to ride... Vital handicap points to be earned!
  • I regret to say that Mr. Askew reports that the traffic lights are still in place so unfortunately we have to cancel tonight's TT. Desperately disappointing. But we thought positively and gave it a shot. I'll need to check out the course next week as there is top dressing along the section of the roadworks scheduled for next week. Hope you get your frustration out on one of the alternative TTs in the area in last week's post.
  • Thomas plans to ride too