Welcome to the forum

Ashwell - Wells-Next-The-Sea Classic, Fri 6 Sept 2019

The Ashwell — Wells-Next-The-Sea Classic 2019

Friday, 6th September 2019, 8.15am start from Rhubarb & Mustard
123 miles to the beach and then back on the train from King's Lynn.

Route:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28509468

In a nutshell…

The only point-to-point Classic in the CCA calendar. Destination: The North Sea for fish and chips. Or, if you only fancy just some of the ride, we are always fairly near train stations, so there are plenty of options to bail out.

Self-sufficiency is essential. Bring everything you need; especially a map or some way to self-navigate if you end up solo for whatever reason. And some lunch for our stop-off at the singularly depressing shamlet of Narborough.

If the weather forecast is rubbish: we'll cancel in advance. Though, frankly, that didn't stop us in the Great Downpour 2017 Edition… Shudder.

It seems like a long way, but Norfolk miles are different. Add in a bit of group drafting and all the lols along the way and you’d be forgiven for thinking it was just a ride to the shops for a pint of milk.

Some good things to know…

If turnout is high, we will likely set off as two groups a few minutes apart, and we will regroup as one at Ely Cathedral, our first stop-off, where thereafter we hit the quiet lanes and traffic melts away. Let's look to be super disciplined in our group riding.

We will hit Arrington Hill early on (A1198) with the tail end of rush hour. Single-out and avoid spreading out and causing inconvenience to traffic.

We ride a short section of the A10 shortly after the onion-odoured canalside lane of Ten Mile Bank. Single out on this A-road, perhaps set off in small groups, stay extra vigilant.

Ensure you're able to navigate to one of the stations along the way should you need to bail out at some point. Ely, Downham Market and King's Lynn are in easy reach of the route to shorten the ride if need be.

Please only confident riders at the back please. And only take the front if you're confident of where you're headed. Shout out if you're suffering and keep an eye out for anyone getting lost behind - or shooting off the front down a blind alley and into one of the many pig farms we pass along the way. Bootiful.

Buy train tickets at King's Lynn in groups to get a slight discount. The Fenman pub is good for a pint while awaiting a train. I will arrange a spread of carb-heavy dense beige food in the friendly pub to restore spirits. We should be able to store our bikes in the back garden. Let’s lock them all together.

We may have to split and go on a few trains throughout the evening, if there are many of us. Let's be accommodating to the staff and passengers and prioritise those who need to get back pronto.

Bring good lights. It will be dark towards the end of the ride and pitch black the other side of the train journey.

Every finisher gets a commemorative badge.

Some may want to ride there and back. Use this forum thread to get a posse together for that if you like.

This ride is always a good laugh, gives a great sense of achievement, and is a nice way to bookend the summer and let you chat with fellow riders. Non-CCA members are very welcome. Next year will be the 10th anniversary of this Classic. We should do something a bit special, like order sausage and chips, instead of fish.

I hope you can make it.

Cheers!

Comments

• edited July 2019
    Cant wait! Im in, but i'm just going for the beige food.
  • I've had young Archie F over on work experience this week and I asked him to design a poster to promote this year's ride, as well as the all-important badge. Here ya go...

• Monument ride!

See u there
  • What sort of pace is this ridden at?
    I've never gone that far before.
  • Pacing is never really a problem, it always seems to find a natural pace which everyone can sustain, this is very much an inclusive, social ride.

I never ride anywhere near this distance (123m) at any other time of the year, so dont worry about that. You'll be surprised how easy you get to Wells. The difficult bit is the ride over to KL. This does normally break up a bit due to fatigue / punctures etc, so smaller groups normally make their way through the KL traffic to station.

Looking back at last 3 years, my av has been 17-18, but typically a tail wind to wells.
  • If I’m free I will probably do the same as last year and do an out and back route if people are up for it. Was lovely last year, just remember to stick decent weatherproof tyres on that haven’t already done a million miles.

200 miles door to door for me, about 188 round trip from the tuns leaving at 6am from there. Think the pace was around 17mph with 6 of us riding last year,
  • Tempted by the return trip Will. Ok to start as early as needed just to avoid needing lights (would have lights, just would rather not use them... :-) )
  • Hi Martin. I was booked to do an event in Yorkshire on the Saturday but I would like to do this so let me have a think. Toma /wil If I go I would like to join u at 6 for the tuns and do the round trip if that's what you are planning Thanks Keith
  • I'll come along, but only go as far as Wells.
    The family will meet me with the caravan for the weekend.
  • + Stef
    + Paul B

Nice designs Archie.
  • Classic:
    Martin L
    Graham A
    Matt S
    Stephen O
    Stef
    Paul B
    MC

Wells and back:
    Will
    Toma
    Keith

• Count me in for the classic! Ryan
  • I’m hopeful for doing it again this year - last time was in torrential rain - & something has came up the intervening year(s).
  • edited July 2019
    Classic:
    Martin L
    Graham A
    Matt S
    Stephen O
    Stef
    Paul B
    MC
    JeremyP

Still contemplating the there and back option......
  • I'm in. Doing the classic to kings Lynn and the pub. This is by far the best bit of the ride. Riding there and back is for wimps
  • Classic:
    Martin L
    Graham A
    Matt S
    Stephen O
    Stef
    Paul B
    MC
    Ryan
    John H
    Jeremy P
    Vince

Wells and back:
    Will
    Toma
    Keith

• I plan to join the classic - day has been booked off work.
  • Not this year. 😟.
  • Hi Will, what's your plan for the round trip with regards to timings ? Thanks Keith
  • edited August 2019
    Hi Keith,

Leaving the tuns at 6am prompt. Not hanging around at the coffee stops much either otherwise it turns into a very long day. Lots of rolling through, working together and getting everybody there and back in hopefully one group. Fish and chips and plenty of coffee! You’ll need lights for the beginning/end of the day, best to use winter tyres and make sure you’re self sufficient, loads of food in your pockets and big bottles.

Anybody smashing it up the (very vague) hills or pushing on too hard will get told so, the other aim is to keep a nice tidy bunch so nice tight riding all round. We’ll have some guests from Stevenage Cycle Club popping along for the day also.

See you at 6!

W

Edit: absolutely no fun allowed at all. Anybody caught smiling will be shouted at
  • Ok will Thankyou I will ride over for 6
    If we can do one stop up and back that would be good. It's 200 miles so yes. Steady riding 👍
  • Probably stop a couple of times on the way up and 3 on the way back. Found an AMAZING cafe about 25 miles from Wells that is well worth a visit (possibly twice...)...
  • Ok great will. Plenty of solid fuel onboard and we will have a good trip
  • Due to a family wedding (which I forgot about. Oops) I won’t be able to ride the ashwell-wells-ashwell ride anymore which is a bit of a shame! Huge apologies, I’m sure you’ll all find your way there and back safely without me...
  • I am still planning to do the round trip if there is a few of us still keen subject to suitable weather of course . 6 am is early but if we leave later we would be really late on the return In my mind I wanted to be on the way back before 2 pm to be in Ashwell pre 9 pm so still a very long day
    Sorry your not able to lead us Wil
  • edited August 2019
  • Found this in the drawer earlier...

• Please book me in for the round trip,(200m) look forward to it this year hopefully NO punches. rob
  • edited August 2019
    Please add me to the list doing the classic

Ta
  • 123 Classic riders... See you Friday, 6th Sept, 8am @ Rhubarb & Mustard. Looking forward to it!

Let's try and leave around 8.15am

Classic:
    Martin L
    Graham A
    Matt S
    Stephen O
    Stef
    Paul B
    MC
    Ryan
    John H
    Jeremy P