Welcome to the forum

Tour du Mont Blanc

edited July 2019 in General
Knowing that I was reaching ‘50 not out’ this January I decided that I needed a challenge so when the email arrived about this time last year from the organisers of La Marmotte advertising the Tour du Mont Blanc the seed of trying what they advertised as the worlds toughest one day bike race was planted.

Having found a tour company who ran trips (Velocamps), organised the entry, and provided support during the event the plan was set.

So better get training then. This comprised of the normal Saturday 0800 Club Runs, turbo and rowing machine sessions.

Unfortunately family illness meant that I was not able to do any outdoor cycling from December to March, so a lot of time was spent in the garage with the occasional visit from the cats who would watch with curious smug expressions (what did they know?).

I used the Sufferfest training programs which gave some good improvement.

Right what else? Could loose some weight and oh yes as it’s my birthday I need a new bike!

Weight loss, well I was never really committed to this but I lost a bit by cutting out some of the junk from petrol stations.

After March I was able to get back on the road with some Saturday club runs and signed up for 3 Sportives (Cheshire Cat, Tour of the Peak, and Yorkshire Beast).

So with the training completed time to pack, load the route on the Garmin (twice). Yes, in the last week before the event the organisers announced a route change due a clash with the ‘Baby Giro’ so we were to head up the Col San Carlo instead of Champex. New climb 10km @ 10% but coming at about 218km we were warned this would be tough with the fatigue. They weren’t lying.

Arrived Thursday to a great Chalet in Praz-sur-Arly and met my fellow randoneers. Bike built, short test ride, dinner followed by a trip to the Belgium bar!

Friday dawned with a fuzzy head (can’t think why?) Lunch registration, bib No 666!!

https://i.imgur.com/lz4ljpZ.jpg

Dinner and load the bikes in the trailer ready for the 15km drive to the start. 0330 breakfast, difficult to eat at that time.

Arrived at the start at 0445 with a lot of riders queuing. At 0500 the race started with a 15km descent in the darkness. This was sketchy with the road quite bumpy sending lights and bidons flying. Fortunately we had been warned about this so took it steady.

Lights were dropped in the van at 40km and then on to coffee and croissants in the Chamonix valley. It was cold due to the sun not having reached the valley floor and the cold that seemed to be flowing off the base of the glaciers.

Then on to first of the significant climbs and into Switzerland. Lunch was organised part way up the climb to the Col du Grand Bernard (big dogs with brandy barrels). The stop at this point did not work for me and my legs felt blocked for the remaining 13km to the summit and I lost time here and food did not settle for a couple of hours.

This was highest point on the route at 2469m and can be cold if the weather is poor hence the stop lower in the valley.

Into Italy now, 31 degrees in the Aoste valley and the extra climb (used by the Giro this year).

Upon reaching the summit of Col Petit Saint Bernard and back into France the support crew were there together with those who had missed the first time cut. (I had forgotten about them) and was informed that I could only stop for 4 minutes because the next time cut off point was in Bourg Saint Maurice some 31km down in the valley, so with bottles filled, caffeine gel in, gillet and arm warmers on I set off for what was to be my fastest ever descent. After a few Km’s the support car overtook and guided me down with the minibus acting as rear gunner. We plunged down to the valley at 50km/h average, making the cut off with just over 5 minutes to spare.

A bit fried I managed to eat some pasta and apparently I was slightly incoherent and slurring but nobody told me till the next day.

Having made this time cut the next was at the summit of the Cormet de Roselend, another 20km climb. It was dark when I made the summit so time for lights and the 19km descent. The first 6km was sketchy because the van had unfortunately gone ahead with my lights and the ones borrowed from the car did penetrate the darkness.

Having picked up the van further down I got some decent lights and the final downhill section was great fun.

Final descent completed, only the ascent to the finish remained, which despite being 8km and another 625m it was quite enjoyable because I knew I would make it to the finish before the event closed at 0100.

I crossed the line 19hrs 16m 9s after starting. Finisher tee shirt and medal collected it was a car ride down the mountain and back into the Belgium bar.

Final stats from the Garmin.
331km
8243m
Moving time 17:21
Calories 9417
Max speed 70.6km

So did I enjoy it? YES
Would I do it again? YES, but only over 3 days so there is more time stop, enjoy the views and take photos.

The weather was great and played it’s part, but poor weather would make it difficult on new level.

https://i.imgur.com/0M1hkmW.jpg

Comments

• well done martin...awesome achievement
  • Wow, that's impressive and inspirational chapeau
  • Well done. This event is on my agenda for 2020 Hope to have a chat with u on a ride over the next weeks Great achievement 👍
  • scary stuff Martin....great ride.
  • Harvey, I am off for a holiday so will catch up on a club ride in August.