Welcome to the forum

Inter Club 2019 Hill Climb - Sunday 29th September - START LISTS

edited September 2019 in Time Trial
Hi Folks,

OK, this is early warning for the final event of the 5 head series of this year's competition on the Sharpenhoe-Clappers 6X/H course organised by St. Neots CC. However, as this year's event clashes with the weekend of the World Championships in Yorkshire, a number of riders have already advised me that they'll be away at that event. So I'm posting reet early on this to make sure we have visibility for this season finale. Please let me know of your availability.

The climb can profile can be found here https://veloviewer.com/segment/944615/Sharpenhoe+Clappers

STOP PRESS: Beds Road's organiser has requested that SNCC postpone because of the clash. CCA has weighed in with support. So this date may get pushed back. Watch this space.

Tentative Team members (those who have expressed an interest):
M. Young
D. Mitchinson
M. Scales?
A. Nunn?

Comments

• Yes, will be there... Unless it's the 13th Oct!!
  • Should be fine as long as it isnt world champs week
  • I'm in as long as it's not 19-20th or 26-27th October
  • Hi Folks,

OK, so here we are. At the end of our Inter Club season and with just one race remaining. And we're leading the standings. Historically, we've done very well at the Hill Climb when we have the numbers, and there'll be a few with their climbing legs on just back from Italy :-) So let's go out and win this round too!

All Clubs suggested a postponement because of the Worlds, so with the event going ahead on the same day as the Elite Mens' race in Yorkshire, I know there will be a good few of our regular squad members away at the event. So I'm looking for ANYONE WHO CAN RIDE A BIKE UPHILL to come forward please! :-)

Currently signed up are Inter Club stalwarts Misters Ronayne and Swan. Fancy joining them? As El Presidenta is away, Ladies are particularly welcome (you know who you are :-)

The HQ is at Streatley Village Hall, which is at 146 Sharpenhoe Road, Streatley, Bedfordshire LU3 3PS(!) I need to chase the SNCC organiser for a couple of details, including the closing date for entry and cost. However, the one constant this year has been BRCC kindly allowing all the other clubs in the competition to continue to use their excellent book-to-ride system. So, with thanks, I direct you to the BRCC SPOCO entry page here https://bedsroad.org/enter_spoco.php

I'll be making contact individually to offer a nudge so please save yourselves that embarassment and do the right thing! :-)

As you were...
  • edited September 2019
    Team members update:
    B. Ronayne
    A. Swan
    T. Chitu
    M. Lawless
    M. Palmer?
    T. Allen?
    A. McLeish?
  • Now registered!
  • edited September 2019
    Good one, Al!

Team members update:
    B. Ronayne
    A. Swan
    T. Chitu
    M. Lawless
    M. Palmer
    T. Allen
    A. McLeish
    D. Mitchinson?
  • edited September 2019
    REMINDER: Entries close on Wednesday 25th September!

Team members update:
    B. Ronayne
    A. Swan
    T. Chitu
    M. Lawless
    M. Palmer
    T. Allen
    A. McLeish
    L. Swan
    D. Mitchinson?
    E. Mitchinson?
  • edited September 2019
    STOP PRESS: Entry deadline extended to the close of Thursday 26th September - Please contact me directly so I can pass your name on. The BRCC book-to-ride system will likely not accept further bookings after tonight (25th September).

Team members update:
    B. Ronayne?
    A. Swan
    T. Chitu
    M. Lawless
    M. Palmer
    T. Allen
    A. McLeish
    L. Swan
    D. Mitchinson
    E. Mitchinson
    A. Bracewell
    G. Askew?
    The current weather looks "interesting" - but be brave me hearties!
  • edited September 2019
    Leave my name on the list. I'll decide at the weekend, but currently not feeling the best, unfortunately. Perhaps putting out max power for 2-3 minutes in the rain isn't the best medicine...no matter how tempting...
  • Not sure of my hill climbing skills or availability but hopeful.can you add me-
    Vincent friedlander
    Ella F-12 yrs
    Lucy F 14 yrs.
    Ella and me would like to ride. Need to check on Lucy. Can confirm later.
    Do I need to sign up or do you do it Andy?
    Will remind the Italy group to sign up tonight
  • Hi Vince,
    Confirming that I got your message and have passed on your details.
    Cheers.
  • Many thanks, all three if us are up for it.
  • Start Lists available here. Note that Mr. Swan can choose from either of his two start times at 11.00 and 11.06!
    Start Sheet
    Signing On info
  • Wonderful racing today. Cheers you testers.
    Anyone know who was taking the photos and where to find them on web? I'm asking for a friend.
  • Simon Norman. Desert eagle photography online and on Instagram. He will Be posting them on to the beds road site also.
  • Here’s a link to Vince’s climb that gives a flavour of the carnival atmosphere at Ashwell Corner on Sharpenhoe Clappers at today’s final round of the Interclub Championship.

• Hey I was working my socks off. That was my big sprint winding up.
    Thanks for the shouting.
  • Cheers Adam
  • edited October 2019
    Hi Folks,

Any non-testers out there who had been following the trajectory (mostly upwards!) of CCA's Inter Club season in 2019 might be wondering by now what happened at last Sunday's final event of the series; and what was the result of the whole competition?

Those of us on the Inter Club WhatsApp group have been sharing a few thoughts, but the truth is that we still haven't yet had confirmation of either the Inter Club Hill Climb Club competition result on the day, or the overall Club standings result for the 2019 competition. However, I'll share with you here what facts we know at this point.

To remind you, dear reader, CCA were in a strong position coming into the Hill Climb following the 4th of the 5 races, the IC10. Specifically, CCA had won 3 of the 4 events up to the Hill Climb: the 15, 30, and 10 and had lost out on the 25 by just 8 points to arch rivals Bedford Road CC. So, going into the Hill Climb we were on 1400 points, 197 points clear of Bedford Road CC in 2nd.

Last week's event took place under threatening, grey skies following the previous night's heavy rain. Although blustery (mostly a cross headwind up the climb) the temperatures were not too cool and there was no further rain during the event.

Despite the event clashing with the Mens' World RR Champs and with a number of Hill Climb experts away to watch that event, CCA brought all of its available guns to bare on bringing home the trophy putting out a full squad of 15 riders (no less!) including a number of Youth/Juniors. Adding to the excitement was a group of supporters and well wishers to shout on everyone who took on the challenge of Sharpenhoe Clappers, but particularly the CCA riders. Cow bells, two-tone horns and even the percussive sound of a pan lid struck with a spoon were all put to good use to cheer our team on as they passed the National Trust car park at about two-thirds distance.

CCA's Ms. L. Swan had the honour of being first on the hill and made it stick by finishing as fastest lady, despite having raced cross the day before. The terrific performances kept coming with some fantastic "pain cave" expressions on view. From the video clip in the post above, Mr. Friedlander's effort seemed to cause hilarity amongst the CCA supporters, possibly because of this much-loved Club member's lugubrious, ashen and concentrated expression, since - as you'll see from the result below - his result is deserving of much respect! :-) He had already ridden a recce with his daughters and then descended again to ascend for a third time to recover some kit left at the start! Chapeau!

The atmosphere and excitement of the event is summarised brilliantly in the following pic of CCA's Mr. Swan, courtesy of BRCC's Simon Norman trading as Desert Eagle Photography (check @deserteaglesportsphotography, Instagram, Facebook and the links via BRCC's website for links and to purchase originals).

So to the facts: what we know so far, the individual results:

In the Ladies category:
    1. L. Swan 3.04
    8. E. Mitchinson (J) 3.48
    9. E. Friedlander (J) 3.59
    10. L. Friedlander (J) 4.32
    And in the Mens' category:
    1. D. Mitchinson 2.15
    3. M. Young 2.29
    4. M. Palmer 2.33
    5. A. Swan 2.36
    7. B. Ronayne 2.41
    8=. V. Friedlander 2.42
    11=. G. Askew 2.45
    14. M. Lawless 2.47
    22. T. Allen 2.55
    33. T. Chitu 3.33
    40. A. Bracewell (J) 3.49
    So, as you'll see, having won both the ladies' and the mens' competitions and packed the top ten of the mens' finishers, from the team point of view, CCA has good reason to be quietly confident of having done *very well indeed* in the competition on the day. And if this result were to be translated to the overall standings, having started 197 points ahead of its nearest rival, an independent observer might predict that CCA should have won the Inter Club competition as a whole in 2019!

However, until all is confirmed by the authorities, we should try not to be over confident.

More when we get it!