Welcome to the forum

Sunday 16th May - middle group 9am

edited May 2010 in Club runs
I've got a suggestion for a middle group ride...

1,000m climbing, 71 miles, or able to cut short for 63 miles by turning for Ashwell after Throcking via Sandon.

A controversial inclusion: I've noticed what I think is the closest OS map marked steep gradient to Ashwell. It's a bit of a lost lane between Gosmore and Preston. I've driven it before and it's in a poor state. But I'm up for it - if others are. Could be a laugh.

Download a jpeg pic of the route here

Comments

• It's called Charlton hill...a local classic we've ridden up many times Martin......remember to select your gear before turning the bend and don't overcook it on the first bit as there is a very nasty upper tip...have fun
  • Excellent ride but a straange one. We started in a group of about 15, split into 3 at Weston, then back into 2 at Graveley. 50ish miles later group 1, which was down to 3, met group 2 which was down to 2 (me and Martin) re grouped and headed for Ashwell. Very soon we had 2 groups again. Martin and I split just before Wallington and then going through Baldock I saw Alex from group 1 again. All in all I did 83 miles at 17.5 av, a respectable burn of calories I hope ! Look forward to the next and perhaps we need a medium and a medium fast aka nasties group next week, if we have sufficient numbers. Thanks to Martin for his route and navigation, not a wrong turn anywhere.
  • edited May 2010
    The constant break up boils down to one thing really... it's now race season. Alex is flying and it's now about who can stick with him. Some of us need the faster ride and opt for the the pain. Sometimes severe pain! This fast group whether hills or flat averages no less than 18.5mph to 20mph. Sometimes the hilly route ends up faster than a flat one and that really hurts. But it's the way forward! So apologies for anyone having to cycle alone today or constantly having to regroup. I can assure you its not an ego thing but pure training (for a change!).
  • the fast group has its own rules......not sure Sunday runs whether fast, medium or club should be viewed as training, but if people know it's a blast from the start to finish whatever the route then that is that.......but PLEASE don't call it the middle ride..it clearly is NOT that. It's a nasty ride and that is clear from the blog....seems like some split into the middle fast and middle medium ride from chatting to some who returned to Ashwell earlier than the rest.

I took a mammoth combination of CLUB ride proper and my starter ride about 18 in all..thanks to Andrew, Josh and Stevie for assistance in helping to split and run two groups.....from Daisy at 10yrs to Jeff and me the age range was vast and difficult to manage...Greg and 2 mates joined and will be a great addition...hope Brad. (another new rider) enjoyed riding with James...we did 2 loops of 15 miles or so out and back to Ashwell which allowed the dropping off of Daisy and collection of Oliver....thanks to everyone for patience..hope it worked..comments welcome for next weeks ride.
  • Robbie's right - race season on and some riders really able to punch it hard right now. Bumping into Robbie, Alex and Phil late on as Kev says, and a quick bit of maths, their average was just over 20mph after 65 miles. Great going! Trying to keep up with them near the end was proper steam coming out of the ears chain gang action.

I don't want to put anyone off thinking they could/should push things a little to join the fun of the middle group, and take the pressure off the bulging Club Run - especially in this good weather. It's simple really: stick with the ride leader and shout out if you start dropping off the back.

A really verdant ride today. Bobbed up Charlton Hill. The road has been patched up pretty well and it's a good little stinger. Loads of charidee riders floundering about like Brownian Motion, so it felt like a mini-Cheshire Cat Mow Cop. No gold medal today though. Get yerself down there next ride. The group boiled down to me, Iain [strong riding!], Phil K, Kevin and Mark W for most of the way.

Got all the big hills in before meeting the nasties and tailing back. In the end, 73 miles @ 17.3mph av.

Who's leading the next middle ride? If I'm about, I don't mind suggesting another route.
  • Robbie, Geoff,
    Absolutely right, i had a rubbish ride today, going like a bag of rusty spanners but it was a fast run and i dont expect anyone to wait for me, no appologies needed. If Alex, Phil and Robbie are in the group (and for that matter a whole bunch of other fast riders, Mark, Ian, Adam, Martin, Skelders, jim and others) then dont expect an easy chatty ride. i think generally most understand this. Whats the worst that can happen? you ride home alone. we are, more or less, grown ups.

So thats the fast group, the next one down is therefore the medium group. calling it the "aerobic, extended, threshold, club" is nonsense and confusing to newbies. Most in that group are very experienced and pretty quick riders who enjoy a good 50 mile ride with a big thrash at the end. you do yourselves something of a disservice by not aknowledging yourselves as the middle group.

That leaves, currently Geoffs club run, which is doing great stuff with younger and new riders. theres a big difference in ability there, which Geoff is managing brilliantly and if theres loads of them, or if Bob wants another run then there is probably room for 2 club runs.

Sorted, 3 runs, club, medium, fast.
  • By pure dopiness on my part, I found myself in the fast group after the split. The inevitable occurred at about 55 miles and I fell off the back (by agreement). Not a problem at at all and, while I had a great time trying to hang in there, my only gentle suggestion is that we do the split a little more formally in future. I know it's down to all of us to sort ourselves out, but we could perhaps help ourselves a little.
  • Agreed to all comments 8-)

My only gripe for yesterday was that the first split occurred at the A507 due to traffic not ability! Myself, Mark W & Phil K watched the ride disappear up Clothall hill while we waited for 'The Hertfordshire Harley Davidson Chapter' to parade past! I wasn't so fussed as I was nipping off back to Baldock anyway but not so fair on Phil & Mark.

I totally agree with the 'nasty' mentality and also would like to applaud Alex for his 'hand of god' up the hills on many occasion which actually helps keep the ride together (usually asisting me!!). All I would say is, keep half an eye on the unforeseen delays as opposed to, as I said, ability :o)
  • No apologies required Robbie, I have neither a gripe with the nasty mentality nor a problem dropping off the back, however in my initiation weeks last year there was very often 4 groups, club, medium, medium fast and then a nasty and I slotted well into the medium fast. So yea if there's only 3 groups I'll join the fastest one whatever it's called and will fall behind at some stage and as Adam proposes a more formal split would be good.
    Look forward to next week.
  • this Sunday we are all at the primavera either setting up/marshalling/doing teas/driver duties/mechanic car or first aid.......so doubt many will be there for the run.......in fact EVERYONE should be there to help as only 1 rider from CCA has entered...guys...this is OUR race..most of you nasties can do this...why aren't ALL of you signed up...we would cheer you on......it is a real shame you would rather tear a ride up on Sunday but not try out against other riders from the region..come on everyone..help this year and then sign up for 2011...it is always 2nd or 3rd sunday in May....you can book it now and get training..why else all the pain on rides if not to beat someone....stick a number on your back and work as team mates to win for the club........
  • Geoff, What can I say. The most profound thing I think I've ever heard you say ;)

Spoke to Carmelo today & we have had a couple of riders drop out, so all the reserves have shuffled up. We now have about 4 reserves on the list. SO if you want to put your name down for the race on Sunday let myself or Carmelo know & we'll put you on the reserve list. Normally 5-6 reserves get a rides (no guarantees though) as people drop out or are ill etc, so this could be your chance to have a go.

Cheers Trahern