Welcome to the forum

London to Paris Report

It was under extreme conditions but I made it to the Eiffel Tower on Saturday :-)

As you will know, I was fortunate enough to be selected by my employer to represent our Stevenage site on this cycle challenge and to raise money for Save the Children - they will match all money that I raise.

I set off at 6:30am from the tower at Crystal Palace on Weds after about 1 hours sleep (a long story about someone's shower pouring through the ceiling of my room!) and meeting my team mates for the first time. We always knew that day 1 would be a challenge down to Dover and that certainly turned out to be the case with lumpy terrain, temperatures in the mid 30s and some road closures. After 100 miles we made it to the hotel in Calais at 11:30pm (only about 6 hours of this was actual cycling!). After this long day I really didn't want to hear the news that the following day would be the hottest day in European records in France and that to beat the heat we had to get started at 5am! So a lumpy 78 miles followed on day 2 into a 43degrees headwind - there was absolutely nothing, just wheat fields and it was like cycling into a hairdryer or fan oven. A real test of mental strength, trying to find some trees for shade and drinking hot water - on this day only 10 riders of the 87 that started, actually finished. I'm pleased to say that I was one of them after standing in a layby waiting for a buddy to complete the last 20 miles with and then along came a fellow Tamworthian who I met for the first time on the trip. A lot of post ride hydration was definitely needed on that day ;-).

Day 3 was a welcome relief when it dropped back to 30 degrees and was a much more sociable day at a mere 68 miles and some fabulous scenery on the way to Beauvais. The final day to Paris should have been a breeze but along came the thunderstorms, torrential downpours and the temperature plummeted to 16 degrees. Fortunately I had no incidents but it was puncture and 'falling off' city for a lot of the group, I was also feeling slightly smug about having a mudguard. Thank goodness it stopped raining before we hit the pave of Paris where it was a truly unforgettable and manic experience cycling round the Arc de Triomphe and down the Champs Elysees to finish at the Eiffel Tower.

A brilliant experience, a true team effort, some new friends and over 300miles on my winter bike under testing conditions - the organisers said this was their most challenging in years. On paper this should have been straightforward but it really was a challenge and one of the most difficult rides I have done (and I have done a lot!)

I would like to say a massive thank you to everyone who has supported me and donated to Save the Children - I have raised £2300 which will be doubled by my employer to give over £4500. I will also be baking some more cakes at some point as an extra thank you.

https:www.justgiving.com/fundraising/emma-koppe

Comments

• Thanks for the write up Emma, this sounds like a truly epic ride in the extreme heat! Well done to you and your team for raising so much for Save the Children.
  • Nice one Emma. Great achievement and a good chunk of cash for the charity.
  • Well done Emma, a real triumph over adversity!
  • A great effort, for a good cause. Well done Emma.