Welcome to the forum

Tour of the Cornfields 1st Sepetember 2019

8* of us gathered at Wimpole Hall to do the famous Tour of the Cornfields. Started by Mark so long ago he can’t remember when it is now run by Beastway, who do a very good job.

MC has a reputation for being so strong he can pull a train along behind him and I think we were all hoping he would do this today. He wasn’t making excuses and, unlike last year, hadn’t moved several tonnes of hard core the day before by shovel. Optimism abounded. We lined up and, as hoped, the Class 47 set off with a CCA rake of carriages behind comprising Vince, Keith, Mark, Geoff, Iain, Ed and myself*. Not unlike an actual Class 47 there was soon a problem as MC had punctured as he turned out of the estate. Disaster! Most of us carried on not wanting to stop so soon; but who would tow us now? Fortunately Mr Wyer must have eaten baked beans for breakfast and took up the mantle of super strong Mark of the day. On the first road section he mercilessly took pace from the rider in front (also called Mark it turned out) discarding the rider like an unwanted haricot skin when the rider was depleted.

The run into Potton gave new meaning to the phrase ‘Crazy golf’ as we skirted the greens at pace, delighting in swooping left and right through the trees. Remarkably MC had caught up with Vince, who had stayed with him for support.

Tea, coffee, bananas and cakes were enthusiastically consumed. Whilst comments about the pace from first time Cornfield tourers could have been interpreted as concern the second half progress was by no means diminished. We probably did go slower as Foulkes managed to get off the front and return “about ten minutes” ahead of the rest of us. Chapeau! We were by no means hanging about.

There were a few crashes on a rutted descent where Vince hit his head (hope you are okay).

It is a smashing route and the day was thoroughly enjoyable. Warm without being too hot.

My legs hurt now.

*Who have I forgotten?

Comments

• Great write-up Daniel, it was a great ride today. What a ferocious pace. Definitely felt like I was out with the big boys!
  • A brilliant day out. Thanks to all the team for sharing the ride. I might have started fairly quick but Daniel was much stronger by the end as was Keith who gradually speeded up as the ride went on. Although I understand this was just a warm up compared to his normal events.

Golf has never seemed so exciting as I nearly made an impromptu visit to the 9th green on the rapid and fun descent.

A few spills but hopefully no pre-season damage done. Vincent, Daniel and Keith all hit the deck in a deep rutted section. Not as bad as one woman looked at the finish with at least 3 cuts on her face and chin.

Finally no training seems to be the answer as Iain was the strongest on a diet of occasional racing and nothing else.