Welcome to the forum

Become a British Cycling coach

edited September 2019 in General
Hi everyone

I'm just putting a note out to sow a seed in your mind about becoming a qualified British Cycling coach. A few reasons why...

- It gets you closer to your favourite sport.

- Coaching (anyone) is rewarding when you see enthusiasm and progress: especially when you see kids develop and give thanks.

- There's a good team spirit with the other coaches in CC Ashwell - join the gang! There are tonnes of support, advice and assistance.

- We've got a great facility in the grass track field and lots of enthusiastic youngsters in particular to work with. All on our doorstep.

- You'll develop great leadership skills for use elsewhere: leading a team, making a plan, managing people, improvising, creativity, herding cats! etc. It's a qualification that, rightly, impresses lots of different people in life and work.

- Who knows where it could lead? How far could you take it? That whole 'make your job the thing you love and it doesn't feel like work' mantra.

- Get a free British Cycling t-shirt, wooly hat and coat... If you're lucky.

- CCA would cover the fees.

- Actual cycling ability to any great degree is not required. Anyone can do it.

Going about it? Just ask a coach for details. The essentials to the whole scene though...
1. There are three levels of coach. Level 1 gets you off the ground and is great. We really want Level 2 coaches though who can lead a coaching session etc. You can blast through Level 1 easily and get on to Level 2 quite easily. I think you can roll Level 1 into a Level 2 coaching course.
2. Level 2 course qualification commitments: just one weekend, to do the 2-day theory, in a group of others. You then get a whole three months to create just 6 one-hour sessions in the real world (that CCA will help you co-ordinate) and then you submit your session plans and feedback to BC - what went well, what you learned etc. After the three months, there is a half day weekend session to attend with your new friends from the very first weekend. You get feedback and you have to perform a tiny 15 minute mini-session in front of a small selection of your group - to prove you've progressed. That's all it takes.
3. You can go further if you wish... you can 'bolt on' qualifications after Level 2 - to focus on specific disciplines: notably, Track, CX and Road.

There's a bit more info on BC"s site. As well as upcoming course locations... Watford in October - noted.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/coaching/article/coast_level_2_award_programme_b-Level-2-Certificate-in-Coaching-Cycling--0

Have a think and get in touch with Mark W or any of the other coaches in the club. I'm happy to talk more offline if anyone wants to.

thanks

Martin

Comments

• Thanks to those who have stepped up towards becoming a BC coach - it's much appreciated by fellow coaches, parents and the kids - and I know you'll find it really rewarding.