Welcome to the forum

Club run review - Sunday 3rd August

A bit thin on the ground today. We think summer hols have kicked in.

8 in the club run - Geoff, Max, Sam, Alec, James, Jon, myself and new fella Mark from Letchworth - who has rediscovered cycling after doing a London to Paris charity ride earlier this year.

We did 'Two Bridges' and stuck Cardington onto it. The general consensus was that it is a better ride with that bit on it - and comes in at 40 miles exactly [just a shade under 18mph average today].

Geoff has submitted his entry into the slowest puncture repair of the year award. Double trouble with faulty valves on two inner tubes. At least it was dry and warm for it. As it was when Alec got a puncture 100 yards downhill thereafter.

No sign of the 6-7 nasties back at Andy's. They were heading south somewhere for a 55 miler.

Good ride.

Comments

• The nasty boys as they are called (not that there is anything nasty about the Arlesey flyer) headed out towards Walkern, we had a new lad in tow today or should i say he towed us. Nice young man named Ashley, he kicked the pace along to Watton at a average of 19.5 into a stiff breeze, we all helped him out on a few ocassions, but to be quite honest i don't think he needed any help.
    At whitwell we had one go back a different route and the 5 remaining travelled onto Lilley. At Shillington Alex turned off to Hitchin and Matt picked up the pace, soon to be passed by that man Ashley again. The flyer did a turn chasing a van down Stondon road, (anything to keep out of the wind) Tim took it on to Henlow where Matt had a spin at the front. Up the water tower road back to Ashwell and that man Ash was off agin, i managed to tickle along behind him until he no longer wanted my company and he was off.
    He slowed down to tell me he was heading back to Biggleswade and i went back to Hinxworth, Matt and Tim just behind.

A good ride average 20.2mph, considering the breeze and the hilly route not hanging around, if Ashley had not been there it would have been a lot slower. that lad as great potential, and would be a good training partner for Scott.