Welcome to the forum

Eastern League round 7, West Stow

There is a Belgian cyclocross race which incorporates the famous climb of Koppenberg; unsurprisingly the event is called Koppenbergcross. This normally takes place on All Saints Day, which I assume, is a national holiday in Belgium. All Saints Day this year fell on Friday and so it was that ‘Crossers’ everywhere became very interested in this race. The interest was intensified by this being the first round of the influential DVV Trophee and the last event before Matthieu van der Poel returns to cyclocross after an extended road season which included his victory in the Tour of Britain.

The race did not disappoint. Each lap contains a partial ascent of the Koppenebrg with the finishing line at the top. Going for victory involves judging your resources perfectly so you can reach that line.

The women raced first and the dominant rider of the season so far was not amongst the early leaders, Annermarie Worst would work her way back to take second place, but it was her team mate Yara Kastelijn who took the lead from the first climb and held it to the end. Worst had no need to try to beat her team mate! Remarkably it was another 777 rider, Alice Maria Arzuffi, who made it a 1-2-3 for the same team. An impressive result and thrilling racing.

The mens race was dominated by the Belgian U23 rider Eli Iserbyt. His arch rival is the Yorkshireman Tom Pidcock. Pidcock outsmarted Iserbyt at the last World Championships to take the title. These lads race hard against one another and are now doing so in the Senior races. Iserbyt has dominated the season thus far and after starting late Pidcock is now bringing the battle to these races as we have eagerly anticipated. Iserbyt soon established a lead at the Koppenbergcross on Friday and Pidcock had to fight hard to get on terms with him. Iserbyt was clearly the stronger rider that day and managed to get a gap between the two. However Iserbyt’s chain jammed as he started the signature climb with three laps to go. Pidcock made contact and it was mano e mano. Thrilling racing shoulder to shoulder. Pidcock made an audacious attack down a slimy descent and it looked like Iserbyt had lost, but when Pidcock went to pit it semed like Iserbyt would follow; he didn’t swerving past the pit entrance at the last minute to unleash a blistering attack. This attack was the final one and he managed to hold the line and haul himself over the line the victor. Thrilling racing. Epic sport.

The next day was round 7 of the Eastern League at West Stow Country Park. A course used only once before it is less well known than the Koppenbergcross. The racing though was every bit as exciting, or at least what I experienced personally was. I can only speak of the V50 race, and specifically, the part of that race I was involved in. The base facts are Peter (Daniels) got away in the early laps whilst I managed to stay ahead of Mark (Wyer) until half way round the first lap when he got past me along with ‘Kev the Thighs’ (think Chris Hoy on a CX bike). I kept these guys in sight and after a while I could see that Peter was not far ahead. I past Mark and Kev. In fact I probably traded places with Mark a few times before he launched a well-timed attack to get past the group Peter was in. A smart move as now he was ahead of Peter and had the group between Peter and me. Peter was now super motivated and was giving Mark troubles. The laps counted down and on the ‘laatste ronde’ (final lap) I realised, despite being really tired, I needed to give everything if I was to get back on terms. I rode as hard as I could up the long hill and reached the group Peter was now in, I even briefly passed Mark Gibbs (not sure I have every done this before). Mark (Wyer) had by now established and unassailable lead and even if I could have caught Peter he was way stronger on the part of the course we had left to ride.

So exhausted we crossed the line, Mark-Mark Gibbs-Peter-Daniel-Kev. We shook each other’s hands in genuine congratulation and appreciation. Moving from arch enemies in the race the friends in the width of a painted line.

It is ‘just’ a regional race in which I finished 24th out of 59, but I feel invigorated, mentally alert, proud, happy, (ok) physically very tired and content. I know this will set me up for the whole week ahead.

This is why I race cyclocross.

So in other races I saw a bit of the women’s in which Harley was riding the impossible climb like it wasn’t there and Ffion James riding super smoothly to take the win.

Not every race can be as good as the one I enjoyed, but I hope others had good experiences. (Sorry Martin was not feeling it that day).

I chatted to James Madgwick in the car park, he had raced the previous day at Koppenbergcross and said how amazing it had been. I don’t know how his West Stow race went for him!
Results by race, not category, below.

26 Thomas Ayers Junior
45 Timothy Duckett Senior

20 Emma Pell Women/V40
25 Anna Fraser Women/V50
21 Ben Reidy Vet 40+

14 Vincent Friedlander Vet 50+
21 Mark Wyer Vet 50+
23 Peter Daniels Vet 50+
24 Daniel Doncaster Vet 50+
- Martin Hillier Vet 50+

32 Archie Bracewell Youth
35 Alistair Oppen Yth/U14
38 Ella Friedlander Yth/U14/Girl

7 Louis Oppen U12
1 Logan Ayers U10

Comments

• Two very good reports Daniel. For those that don't know you can watch a lot of CX races for free on youtube via GCN. Some really good racing going on and worth catching up with if you have a spare 1hour.
  • edited November 2019
    There was a lot of close racing across all the categories. I had the task of ‘rider bingo’ on the tablet for the V40’s. Usually a tough one to cover with packs of 5-7 riders crossing the line really closely each lap but on Saturday it wasn’t so bad.
    Logan got his 1st win of the season. He’s been suffering with leg pains about half way into his races but the week leading up to the race he asked if he could do some extra training. Sprints on the village green and a rollers session seemed to have worked. Whether It did or not I don’t know but he thinks it did and that’s what matters. Being mentally prepared is just as important as being physically ready too
    Thomas had a solid race. Stayed with a faster rider for about half the race. Dipped a bit later on but stayed consistent. He was really made up when Tim D shouted encouragement as he lapped Tim. (Sorry for mentioning it Tim) but the encouragement made him dig deep and keep pushing.