Welcome to the forum

CX in the zoo - race report

5 CCA riders made an excursion over to the central league on Sunday. Lillie representing the Women and myself, Daniel D, Dave H and Pete D racing in the Seniors. My season has been a bit stop start and I’ve been struggling for motivation, although I haven’t really missed racing I have missed the team banter. Driving into Whipsnade it was great to see the CX race in action, I spotted Lillie looking really strong going past a rider. After sign on I caught up with all the guys and Lil gave us a race & course summary before we headed out for a quick sighting lap. I’m glad the course wasn’t too technical, lots of corners but most flowed quite well, a couple of slippy ones but all within my technical ability, some long sections of grass and few climbs. I signed in on the day so was gridded last row along with Daniel. The whistle went and I had a really good start; Mark W training sessions ringing in my ears “Don’t be a sheep” and as most riders headed for the smoother ground I stayed wide and found myself on Peter’s wheel. I manage to get past Pete on a corner so I’m feeling very pleased with myself as not only is Pete very quick off the line he’s also excellent in the corners. I’m trying to put all my training into practice, staying off the brakes, sprinting out of corners & taking good lines (If Mark could see me he would be very proud). I’m in a group of 3 but I keep losing them on hilly sections but pleased that I’m able to get back up to them on the technical sections of the course, one of the riders keeps laying down at one particular corner, its very amusing for me but I guess less so for him. I also pull off my most daring overtaking move with a drifting tripod manoeuvre at a switchback, though I only hold position until a hill and the other rider powers by me. As the race goes on I see Daniel and Peter having a real battle and closing the gap to me. Dave H is already long gone, there was a stage where I thought I would get up to his group but by the second lap he was out of sight. I think Pete and Daniel are pushing each other which is helping them catch me but its only after looking at lap times I realise they were being very consistent and I was getting slower and slower. The senior race is 20mins longer than our usual Vets races but I’ve worked out I have 2 laps left so I think I can hold them off but Pete gets a bit too close for comfort and I have to put in some big efforts to get another gap. Last lap now and Pete is closing in again. I’m working really hard giving it everything, past the pits for the last time I look back and I have a comfortable gap but them I hear the bell ringing for the final lap. I’ve been racing for just over an hour & not paid any attention to the actual lap board for the entire race. The effort I was putting in to stay ahead of Pete has broken me so I stop just short of the finish line and wait for the leader to finish the race before crossing the line. Pete goes past shortly followed by Daniel, a reference to a fairy is made! Despite being totally broken I’ve really enjoyed myself and this is all good training for the club champs in 2 weeks which will be another 1hour race. I’ve been beaten by Daniel and Pete in my last two races, hopefully I can hold them off next time. Stay tuned!

Comments