Welcome to the forum

Ashwell Muddy Monsters kids' racing... Saturday 7 Dec 2019, 1.30-3.30pm

edited December 2019 in Youth
Calling all kids and novice racers... Come on down to Ashwell's grass track (Small Gains field), Saturday 9th Nov, (7th December) 1.30pm for Ashwell's Muddy Monsters Race.

Each race meeting offers any child of any age the opportunity to experience bike racing on a twisting, turning course. There'll be a shorter race and longer race on offer. These races will be scored as part of the regional series. There's also a fun madison race at the end. The races are run to age categories and the whole afternoon takes a couple of hours or so.

Muddy Monsters races are perfect for curious children who want to experience a sense of competitive racing, without any stress.

You just need £4, a bike with working brakes and a helmet. Gloves are advised. Wrap up well enough.

There'll be cake and hot drinks available, with profits going to charity.

Any help on setting up, during the event or taking down is very welcome. (I'll be there earlyish on Saturday).

Note: there is another Ashwell round on Saturday 7 December 2019.

Comments

• A note to say a big well done to all the young Ashwell racers at Muddy Monsters on Saturday.

We had yet another great turnout, with riders coming from far and wide. The racing was fun to watch and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

We beat the bad weather... just! We had to cancel the idea of a fun madison at the end as the rain began. No one was complaining!

A big thanks to everyone who helped make the event happen...

Dave Hadsley and Joe for courses set-up. Marked out at just the right level of challenge for the youngsters. And including a clever spectator alley in the twisty turny bit.

Martin H, Vince, Matt S, young Archie for getting over early to help set up. We have this down to a fine art now - and found ourselves with nothing to do with an hour to go.

Sallie, Mark W for registering, counting, starting, first aid etc etc - thanks.

The Hall family for the charity hot drinks and cake stall.

All the pop-up help from parents and families: marshalling corners and making the day go smoothly. Apols if I've missed anyone.

The course is still set up. If anyone fancies a bit of off-road/cyclo-cross fun: get yerself down to Small Gains. We will keep the course up til at least the next round of Muddy Monsters on Saturday 7th December 1.30pm. I hope to see our young riders there again and hopefully... we'll get a dry event. Something we've not had at Ashwell Muddy Monsters for a while. Of course the next day was glorious wasn't it! -Sigh-.

• Well done everyone. Muddy Monsters is such a great series for the kids. Logan really misses Muddy Monsters and wants to support and represent the club. He's asked if he can come to the next one if he races up a category (U12's) He completely understands racing in his age category wouldn't be fair (his words) and he's more than happy to just race without a number and not take points (assuming he gets any)
  • Rob... If Logan can ride so as to not undermine any other competitor's confidence: He's welcome to join the lolz. It would be great to see him.

All kids… Saturday 7 December 1.30pm - is our second hosting of Muddy Monsters. We hope to see you there. No racing experience required.

All Saturday club riders… there'll be a charity cake and tea stall for the event - approx 2hrs - so why not swing by, grab a drink/bite and watch the 60+ riders go around the outside of our grass track for a few minutes.

Helpers… all help setting up, during the event and taking down stuff is welcome. I expect to be there around 11am on Saturday. Likely there'll be a pint after the event in Ashwell if anyone fancies.

Cheers!

• Will be there for 1100.
  • Popped by after the club ride for a much needed cookie from the cookie stall. Well done to everyone who makes these events happen. It's not easy standing in a cold field for hours, but it was clear just how much the kids and parents appreciate this. It's great to see the next generation enjoying the chance to race their bikes around such a brilliant course.
  • Cheers Jenny - good to see you. Yes: another very successful Ashwell round of Muddy Monsters. Lots of positive comments from parents and guardians. We did well considering it's one of the big weekends before Christmas. The course is still up (if any CXers fancy a spin) and will be up for a bit. Though I expect the high winds yesterday and tomorrow may do the barrier tape in.

A big shout out to everyone that helped put the races on. In no order: Dave and Joe Hadsley - who marked out the course and taped most of it up and cleaned the loo and everything. Sallie for being the maths wizard on counting and placing. Martin H, Vince, Archies Bracewell n' Foulkes, Matt Scales, Gina, Mark W, Dan and the Family Hall for running the charity teas/coffees/cakes and anyone else I've missed - Cheers!

Thanks to everyone that came by to cheer the riders on.

Winter kids coaching continues to run on during the Saturday afternoons - if any kid is interested in burning up some weekend energy. I will try and get over the the Essex Roads kids road racing series in January over at Hog Hill - if anyone wants to make it a road trip. There are 2 more rounds of Muddy Monsters left too.

And finally - welcome on board to Martin H and Stuart who are now new Ashwell coaches, bringing more strength and depth to the coaching resources. We can never have enough coaching support though - so if you fancy becoming a British Cycling coach - let me or Mark W know. The club will help you get your qualifications.

It was officially an Ashwell racing event without rain. Ultra rare...