Welcome to the forum

MTB XC: Thetford Winter Series - Round 1

Thetford Forest is a place that has received recurring mention over the years but I had never actually visited – so when I spotted the winter XC series, I didn't need much persuading.

An early start, but one Genesis album later, I was progged up and ready to ride. A steady practice lap revealed a great course, about three-quarters twisty singletrack through the woods and the remainder open fireroad. Great fun, not too hilly and all fairly straightforward technically (no Corners of Doom), although no doubt requiring full attention in a race scenario.

MC and I were flying the CCA flag in the 1.5 hour race, with 1hr and 3hr races also available. 1.5 hours proved the most popular option, with over 150 riders setting off at the same time – all age categories together. A few riders were gridded towards the front but the rest of us were called up on a first-come first-served basis. As the course bottle-necked into the woods, there were a few hold-ups, but perhaps this “enforced pacing” was for the best, as I'm sure I would otherwise have overdone the first lap, cyclocross style.

After a series of mini-battles I completed my 3rd lap with 1hr29 on the clock – sending me round for a 4th lap. 1hr59 places you 15th in the smaller Senior field and puts a marker in the sand for next time. A great way to push the limit on the hardtail and I will be back for more.

Round 2 is on Sunday 8th December just outside King's Lynn. Post up on here if anyone's interested. Rumour has it that MC will be entering the 3hr race?

Comments