Welcome to the forum

CX Club Champs - Race Report

Where - Hillingdon Cycle Centre
When - Sunday 17th November
Who - CCA Cyclocross All Stars

This Sunday saw the annual CCA CX championships. Round nine of the Central League was used during a weekend when no Eastern League race was on. A heavy contingent of CCA blue made the journey to Hillingdon in Hayes, West London. I would presume the passengers on the Heathrow bound planes above looked down with envy of the racers covered in mud, sweat and tears. Luckily for me I was Chief Pitter (Self proclaimed and with no other previous pit experience) which gave me the best view of the race and apparently makes me the ideal person to write this race report.

First up at 12:30 was our three CCA ladies - Lillie, Jenny & Stevie. These three were gridded close together amongst a sea of very strong female cyclists. The turnout to these ladies races has been huge this year apparently, testament to the growth of the sport and effort people such as our own Jenny have put into women’s races across all disciplines.

The 40 minutes of racing went very quickly for me. Apparently it feels longer when you are actually pedalling. All three girls worked so hard to hold position and climb up the field. The course was both technical and exciting. There had been talk of horrendous conditions similar to years gone by but that didn’t materialise. It was muddy, slippy, hard and fun - ideal. At the line it was Lillie who crossed first of the CCA’ers with Jenny close behind and then Stevie. All three were caked in grime and covered in smiles, perfect.

Next up were the gladiators themselves, the warriors of CCA, the gentlemen racers. A sea of blue at the rear, the CCA men lined up at the back of the grid and pushed off one minute behind the main field to allow CCA their own race within a race - amazing.

David Hadsley, Ben, Geoff, Vince, Mark, Dan Hall, Dan Doncaster, Martin H, Dave Wells and Ed has their elbows out and friendly banter ready for the most important of important races.

The best thing I’ve noticed about CX is that it’s the races within the race that make it so. Yes the 19 year old Flamme Rouge lads at the front are whizzing around at the front with their youthful enthusiasm and uninjured bodies from years of hard work, but it’s the small battles mid field that’s where the fun is. And CCA had loads!

#TheBattleOfTheDans. Dan V Dan. Big Beard V Small Beard. What a race. Two titans jostling for position with Dan Hall crossing the line five seconds in front. Smiles all round.

#SayNoToSPD Geoff!!! What a ride. Geoff rode the whole race on a mountain bike, not that unusual, but he was on flat pedals. Wow. He had a stormer. Solid, stoic ride. Smooth through the corners and powerful on the flat. If he buys some SPD’s people will be very afraid.

#CoachMark. Classy and smooth. Cornering like a pro. Always in control and passing people half his age. A quality ride.

Martin H. Another great ride. I saw Martin hold the biggest back wheel slide ever, skills. Another great ride.

#YoungDave. I’m unsure how Dave Wells has become known as Young Dave but it suits. He rode with the youthful vigour of a man at least six months younger than he is. Carrying a back injury and on a new bike Dave did amazingly well. Even after a crash that left his bars pointing anywhere but forwards he carried on.

Close behind Young Dave was Ed. Once again looking smooth and flowing through the bottom corners. If I could go round a corner that smooth I’d be tempted to give it all a go.

So lastly, the big guns at the front. Dave “Hillingdon” Hadsleigh, Ben and Vince. Pre race I’d been asking anybody that would talk to me what the odds were on these three and nobody could confirm a clear leader. As it turned out it Vince was gapped halfway through and no matter how hard he pushed he just couldn’t quite reign Dave and Ben in. These two were on fire. The lead swapped several times and nobody in the pit was willing to back either one. Halfway through Dave had the audacity to tell the CCA pit crew that he was cooked and couldn’t contest the win. What a sausage. He was quickly reminded about what was at stake and got stuck back in. Hero. Ben was all over Dave, never letting him rest, never giving up. But it was Dave who crossed the line victorious. I think that’s two years in a row? Great work all.

Come give CX a go. It’s easily the most inclusive side of cycling I’ve seen. It’s muddy, it’s fun. A CX bike or a MTB is perfect.

Results.

Women:
Lillie
Jenny
Stevie

Men:
Hillingdon Dave
Ben
Geoff
Vincent
Mark
Dan Hall
Dan Doncaster
Martin H
Young Dave
Ed

Comments

• Great report Adam, and great support from the pits during the race, made me smile every lap

All photos courtesy of Keith Perry
  • Great report Adam. Not sure I was ever a big gun but gave it my best shot and dug deep to try to hold Off Geoff in his slippers but he was on fire too. Sir Dave of Hillingdon was mighty. Gurkha Ben and I commented early on, as Dave started to forge a gap, on how he peaks for the big race.

We must get the above photos on the website and to Mc for the cca annual meal slide show. Great happy grins.
  • Well done all, great report and sounds like great racing :)
  • Great write up Adam. Sadly I did not hold the massive front wheel slide before throwing my self into the cushioning embrace of a bramble bush.